This Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe is by far the easiest, creamiest, and most delicious way to make a classic side dish that pairs well with nearly everything! This is one for your Instant Pot Basics collection.
What Makes This the Best Homemade Mashed Potatoes Recipe?
A few things, but the top reason these are the best homemade mashed potatoes has to be because they’re boiled, mashed, and mixed all in the Instant Pot in mere minutes. Forget lugging a huge stockpot of water to the stove, filling it with potatoes, and having it (inevitably) boil over while standing watch. This recipe is made in just 20 minutes or less, including prep time!
- Peeled starchy potatoes (quartered)
- Enough water to cover
- sea salt
- unsalted butter (Use plant-based, dairy-free butter alternative to make vegan.)
- milk (Any milk will work. Use plant-based dairy alternative for vegan or lactose-free.)
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Boil the Potatoes: Peel and rough-chop the potatoes (approximately 1- to 2-inch chunks), and add to the Instant Pot. Sprinkle with 2 tsp sea salt per pound of potatoes, and cover with water. (I know this seems like a lot of salt, but most will be lost when you drain the water.) Secure the lid, and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Then quick release pressure, and open once the safety pin dropped.
- Prepare the Mash: Drain the potatoes well. The more water left over, the less flavorful your potatoes will be. So take your time draining. Add the butter and milk and any additional mix-ins you desire. Mash with a potato masher until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish: Top each serving with desired garnishes like extra butter, black pepper, parsley, or chives. Enjoy!
Amp up the flavor profile of your mashed potatoes with any of these optional add-ins:
- Sautéed or roasted garlic
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Extra salted butter for serving
- Cheese of choice like cream cheese and/or parmesan
- Sour cream instead of milk
- Chives, thyme, rosemary, dill, parsley, or other fresh herbs
- Green Onions
- Crispy cooked bacon, chopped
Storage, Reheating, and Freezing Instructions
- Leftover Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes can be refrigerated up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- You can also freeze these mashed potatoes, but they may be watery after thawing. To remedy this, simply reheat in a large pan over low heat, stirring consistently, until the water has been reabsorbed and evaporated. If dry, add a splash of milk. Re-season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I leave the skin on my potatoes?
Sure! Just keep in mind they won’t be as silky smooth as they would be without the skin. But this is a great way to make a more rustic version of mashed potatoes — smashed potatoes! Just wash them well before boiling.
Can this be made vegan-friendly?
Absolutely! Just use dairy-free, plant-based butter and milk. Coconut cream would work well!
What type of potatoes should I use?
It’s crucial to use starchy potatoes; not waxy potatoes. Look for a bag that says, “Perfect for mashed potatoes.” When in doubt use russets. I love the yellow-fleshed variety for the color they make the mash.
What To Serve These Mashed Potatoes With
If you’re sold on making these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, and don’t know what to serve them with check out these delicious recipes:
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Slow-Roasted Leg of Lamb
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- German Cucumber Salad
- Summer Salad
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds starchy potatoes* - peeled and quartered
- 3-4 cups water
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter - vegan butter works
- 2/3 cup milk - any dairy or non dairy milk works
- Peel and rough-chop the potatoes (approximately 1- to 2-inch chunks), and add to the Instant Pot together with sea salt and cover with water.
- Put on the lid and turn the valve to the sealing position then set the Instant Pot to 7 minutes on high pressure.
- Release pressure manually by turning the valve to the venting position. Drain the potatoes well, and return to Instant Pot. The better you drain them the more flavorful and creamy they will be.
- Add the butter and milk and mash thoroughly until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish as desired, serve and enjoy!