Making Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes is like the best discovery of all times!! Small sweet potatoes take no more than 15 minutes to cook through! How amazing is that?!? So, I love love love love love, did I say love already, sweet potatoes. You might have noticed after reading about The Best Sweet Potato Noodles Recipe or saw my Sweet Potato Lasagna post. Maybe you figured it out much earlier when you read about this Kale Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe or this Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry. Anyway, Green Healthy Cooking is filled to the roof with sweet potato recipes and probably cauliflower recipes. Here, is yet another one because hey, did you know I love love love love sweet potatoes? Just wanted to make sure you understood to what extent my obsession goes.
Why get an Instant Pot
I got an Instant Pot (amazon affiliate link) a couple of weeks ago and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’ve been debating this buy for a loooooong time. I simply wasn’t sure if I really needed yet another gadget in my kitchen. Well, as you can see I ended up voting FOR the buy and I.AM.SO.HAPPY! #1 reason this was worth it: it saves me a ton of time! #2 reason this was worth it: it beeps when my food is ready and I don’t forget to deal with it at that exact moment. (I’m a very distracted person and stuff sorta burns and overcooks in my kitchen sometimes *insert whistling and eye rolling emoji”) #3 reason this was worth it: It serves not only as an electric pressure cooker but also a rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, sauté pan and slow cooker! Especially the last I was very very very excited about reading. I’ve been debating buying a slow-cooker, too for a loooong time and ended up deciding agains it because I could do the job on the stove top with a bit more effort but still. Now I have a 7 in one gadget that can do it all! I’m just waiting for it to one day clean itself, too, just by surprise, haha.
How long to cook sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot
This will depend A LOT on how you like them of course. Do you like them still crunchy? All soft and mushy? Something in between? I don’t like boiling mine for example because they get extremely mushy and soggy. I used to roast mine or peel, cube and then cook in a sauce, the only way I could handle them boiled. And boiled already cubed I had to pay close attention that they don’t overcook because then they become puree and sweet potato puree is not my favorite. I basically need them to be soft but still be able to pick up with a fork. For THIS consistency you have to cook a 5 oz (140g) sweet potato on high pressure for 15 minutes. I deduct from this that you have to cook a sweet potato 3 minutes per ounce. However, don’t take my word on that. I will still have to test around with different size sweet potatoes. The 6 small sweet potatoes I bought were all between 5 and 6 ounces. I pressure cooked two for 12 minutes, two for 15 minutes, two for 18 minutes and the 5-oz sweet potatoes cooked for 15 minutes with quick pressure release were my favorite. I will continue my tests to find the perfect formula and add to this Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes post with all the nitty gritty details. Just let me play with my new kitchen baby a little more before I start “serious work” with if :P
What to do with Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
So once I had cooked 6 sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot to figure out cooking time I had to do something with them, right? Well, you could certainly make this Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry in less time than the original recipe states. No need to wait for the sweet potato to cook in the sauce. You can just pressure pre cook and then prepare the curry in like 5 minutes flat. OR pre cook the sweet potatoes, let cool, store in the fridge and use the next day to make your curry in 5 minutes flat. Another option is to make a delicious gluten-free and highly nutritious breakfast. Make your Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes while you take a shower and get ready for work. Once you are ready, just prepare your poached egg, slice some avocado, add salt pepper and lemon. A breakfast for Kings and Queens!
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes Video
Instant Pot Sweet Potato
- 2 small sweet potatoes (5 oz / 140 g)
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 hand full cilantro leaves
- Add metal steamer to Instant pot (the one that comes included with the pot!) and add 1/2 cup of water to the pot. Place sweet potatoes on steamer, lock the lid properly and turn the steam release handle to "sealing". Click on "manual" and press plus until you reach 15 minutes. Then click pressure to change to "high pressure". Let the magic pot do it's work.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil to make poached eggs or heat a pan over medium heat to make fried eggs. For poached eggs you need VERY FRESH eggs to be able to poach them, otherwise they spread out and don't stay one piece. If you don't have very very fresh (as in laid max 3 days ago) eggs, make fried eggs instead for this recipe.
- Once instant pot beeps when the 15 minutes are over, move the steam release handle to "venting" to quick release all the steam. Once all of it is out it's safe to open the lid. Remove sweet potatoes and plate.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half, place an egg on each half, salt and pepper generously, add lemon zest, lemon juice, cilantro and serve with half an avocado.