This German Potato Salad was probably my first food as a baby….In Southern Germany this is a salad that is a staple for any barbecue, several dinners a week and pretty much any social gathering. It is served either as a side to grilled meat or sausages or as a main just with bread. No matter how you choose to eat it…IT IS AWESOME!! I might be biased here because of where I come from and because I grew up eating it all.the.time I’m pretty sure though that you will fall in love with it quickly, too. In my humble opinion this is probably the best way to eat potatoes ever. Ha!
I love potatoes in general and this salad specifically so much I’d love to make it at least once a week but do you want to read something very funny? My son hates potatoes. WHAT?!?! A German kid and he doesn’t like potatoes? Yes, he doesn’t. I still hope though he eventually will fall in love with potatoes by exposing him to them at least twice a month. I always ask him to eat at least a tiny little bit so he gets used to it. I just cannot accept that my son doesn’t like something as delicious as potatoes. Ahhhhh!!
German Potato Salad
- 1 kg waxy potatoes
- 1 small white onion
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed oil
- 2 tsp mustard
- Wash and cook potatoes.
- While potatoes are cooking, peel and finely chop onion, dissolve mustard and beef cube in 1 cup boiling water and wash and chop chives.
- Peel potatoes and cut into slices right into a bowl.
- Add chopped onion, beef stock and mustard water and add sunflower seed oil.
- Mix well and let rest for about 10 minutes so the potatoes can suck up the dressing.
- Now salt to taste and add chives.
Potatoes make me feel nostalgic when I’m not in Germany. In case you haven’t noticed from my previous posts yet, I love my home country. I am still here on holiday currently and I am enjoying my time with family to the maximum but our departure date is coming closer and closer and I start to feel sad. I don’t want to leave….