This recipe for Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Tahini Dip was sooo good I’m posting it despite the pretty horrible photos. I was “this” close to not posting neither the recipe nor the video. It took me an entire day (l.i.t.e.r.a.l.l.y) to edit it and still I was very close to not posting. Why you ask? I don’t like the photos, nor the lighting in my video *cry*
The recipe is really, really awesome. The Avocado Tahini Dip was beyond delicious. The sweet potato fries as expected, sweet and the perfect vegetable to dip into the amazing dip. The avocado and tahini make the dip wonderfully creamy in texture. The cilantro is responsible for the vibrant color and extraordinary smell of the dip. Cumin and lime juice round up everything to perfection. The recipe itself I’m really proud of but the photos…. *sigh*
I’ve come so far in the past year with my food photography and having set backs are hard to digest. Semi pretty pictures make me sad, ha! The thing is I’m just learning to do video. You guys have been telling me for the past 2 years that you want to see recipe videos. I’m actually enjoying to learn how to make videos A LOT! It is a lot of fun and I’m starting to get all those million features in my video editing program. However, what I suck at right now is video taping AND photographing a recipe. The setups are totally different. For photos I position my setup at a totally different angle to my light source. I take time to style my shot and then take time to photograph from different angles, creating shadows with black boards and directing light with bouncing cards.
When shooting video I don’t want to mess too much with my setup because I have to try to keep the light somewhat consistent throughout the video, right? Well, that didn’t turn out too well but with the videos I can be more forgiving with myself. I’m just a beginner. Here you can see the video:
The lighting keeps changing with every frame, haha. I promise you though! Really! The Avocado Tahini Dip is amazing! :D Much better than any photo could ever tell ;)
Maybe I should concentrate in making videos of recipes I’ve already made on the blog. Recipes you all love already instead of new recipes. That way I can concentrate on photos for new recipes and videos for old recipes. What do you think? For which recipes would you like to see video footage? Any particular favorites? Let me know in the comments below.
Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Tahini Dip
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 avocados
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 pinch cumin
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200C).
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into fries.
- Put a oven proof cooling rack on a baking sheet (or else, line a baking sheet with parchment paper) and oil it with a brush.
- Add raw sweet potato fries, 1 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp oil into a bowl and mix well with your hands until all fries are covered with oil.
- Lay fries onto the cooling rack leaving enough space between them.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn, bake for an additional 15 minutes (30 minutes in total).
- In the meantime, prepare the Avocado Tahini Dip.
- Add avocado, tahini, cilantro leaves, lime juice, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, cumin to a food processor and process until very smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Dip sweet potato fries into creamy Avocado Tahini Dip!