Delicious Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with chickpeas and kale, covered with homemade Tahini Sauce. A filling and delicious easy vegan dinner recipe.
How to Pressure Cook Sweet Potato
My favorite way to cook sweet potatoes for quinoa stuffed sweet potatoes is to pressure cook them in the Instant Pot. It’s the quickest and easiest way to cook them.
Just add enough water to get the cooker to pressure (1 cup for a 6-quart and 2 cups for an 8-quart), place the trivet in the pot and the washed sweet potatoes. Seal the pot, set it to the required time on high pressure and forget about it.
The pressure cooking time will depend on the size and circumference of the sweet potato and here is an AMAZING sweet potato pressure cooking guide you can use for reference.
If you don’ t have a pressure cooker though, you can still make this recipe! Simply bake the sweet potatos.
How to bake Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 350F. With more heat you risk burning the outside while the inside doesn’t cook through).
Don’t bake them stuffed. Keep the sweet potato as whole or cut in half and stuff it once baked through.
Poke the sweet potato all over with a fork so some steam can escape. That way you avoid the potato breaking into pieces because of too much pressure inside the skin.
No need to oil or season at this point. Just put the sweet potato in plane.
Depending on the size the sweet potato will be soft within 45 to 70 minutes. If you cut it in half it takes less time than if you leave it as a whole but it’s harder to cut a raw sweet potato in half than a cooked one. It’s a matter of personal choice basically. Either way, it tastes delicious.
Poke the sweet potato with a fork to find out if it’s soft. It should be soft like a regular potato.
How to make Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
So, once you cooked or roasted the sweet potato it’s time to stuff it. For that you want to first mash up a little of the flesh or else anything you put on top just rolls off again.
Use a fork and mash up the sweet potato and create like a little well in the center. Then add your stuffing. My favorite is quinoa, kale, and chickpeas but anything you like works well really.
Then, comes the most important part. Drizzle A LOT of sauce on top of the quinoa stuffed sweet potatos. My favorite is the green tahini sauce, but a roasted red pepper sauce works amazing, too.
Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato
- Pressure cook or roast sweet potatoes. Cook quinoa as instructed on the package.
- In the meantime, peel and finely chop onion and wash, dry, destalk and finely chop kale.
- Make the Tahini Sauce by adding basil leaves, cilantro leaves, honey, garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and jalapeño to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat, add a little oil and then sauté de chopped onion until translucent. Add the chopped kale, chickpeas, and quinoa and stir fry until warmed up and the kale bright green. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked through, cut in half and mash up a little with a fork. Then top with quinoa/chickpea/kale mixture and drizzle with tahini sauce.