If you ever wondered how to make quinoa for breakfast, here I have the most amazing Quinoa Breakfast Bowl recipe ever! Start the day with full power!
I love quinoa so so much I thought it would be a great idea to start like a healthy quinoa breakfast recipe series. What do you think? Is that something that interests you? I don’t like to call foods super foods to be honest because I believe that basically any whole food is a super food.
However, in case of quinoa, I make an exception. It is the super food of all super foods. And no, I don’t say that just because I’m half Peruvian…..or maybe yes? Anyway, there is no doubt, that quinoa is one of the most nutritious bases for any breakfast bowl. That I can assure you.
Another thing I love about quinoa is how fast it cooks. Often times I didn’t prepare lunch in the evening for my husband and son to take to work and school the next day. I get up 10 minutes earlier, cook a cup of quinoa, prepare Maple Mustard Balsamic Dressing or any other 1-minute salad dressing, put the dressing in a large glass jar, add the freshly cooked quinoa on top, then a can of tuna and then fresh salad leaves. Seal the jar and off they go to work and school with their less than 15 minute prep time homemade lunches. I will have to write a proper recipe post for this lunch idea. It is marvellous.
Back to the Quinoa Breakfast Bowl though because that’s why you are here, right? So here is:
How to make quinoa for breakfast
Most quinoa breakfast recipes I’ve seen so far are all sweet. Do people really exclusively want to eat sweet breakfasts? I’m more of a hearty breakfast kind of person. I like savory breakfasts with egg. This Quinoa Breakfast Bowls fulfills all my wishes for a great start in the day!
This is a very special healthy quinoa breakfast recipe in my opinion because it is a fusion of Peruvian and Mexican cuisine. You get the best parts of both cuisines here. Peruvian quinoa and a Homemade Mexican Salsa. Black beans and avocado are a staple in both cultures. Yellow corn and a beautifully fried egg are basically international. All of this together makes the best Quinoa Breakfast Bowl ever ever ever.
Now excuse me while I take my fork to break the warm egg yolk that serves as an extra sauce on top of the red salsa. By the way, I made up this recipe one evening that I was really hungry and just had what I though random leftovers.
Quinoa, avocado, salsa, black beans….what am I supposed to do with that? None of the individual ingredients sound too exciting UNTIL you mix them all together and top with an egg. *INSTANT.LOVE*.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (leftover quinoa from the day before - else cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water)
- 1 batch Homemade Mexican Salsa (link to recipe in post text above)
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels (I use frozen, boil water in the kettle, put corn in a colander, pour boiling water over corn and finished)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1-1.5 cups cooked black beans (preferably home-cooked but canned is fine, too)
- 2 large eggs
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- In the meantime, divide quinoa into two bowls.
- Add corn kernels to bowls.
- Peel and dice avocado and add to bowls.
- Once pan is really, really hot, add a tiny bit of oil and fry your eggs.
- Add eggs to bowls and add beans to hot skillet to warm up.
- Once beans are cooking, add to bowls, add some Homemade Mexican Salsa and enjoy immediately by mixing it all together. The hot beans will heat the rest of the ingredients!