I am in a planning dilemma lately. While in Germany I didn’t spend much time planning recipes for the blog because I was busy spending time with my family that I only see every other year. Now, I am back in Montreal and life should be back to normal, right? Well, not really. It is a bit of a disaster…..becaaaause…..school hasn’t started yet. Argh! My kids love school and I love it even more, aham. With both at home aaaall dayyyy I kind of don’t get to do anything but play transformers, superheroes, cats, dogs or mommy, daddy, and baby. As much as I love spending time with those two cuties I really miss getting things…well…DONE! Even little and stupidly boring things such as cleaning or going to the grocery store take and eternity and instead of being ordinary they become so demanding. Planning a recipe and the photo shoot AHEAD of time instead of just coming up with something right that moment and take snap shots of whatever I was able to create in a split second is pretty much impossible. I don’t know if you have seen this video before but this will be me in a month, you bet!
Now, moving on to the result of a split second of inspiration some beautiful berries at the market sent me….I present to you, the most awesome Healthy Berry Cake I have ever created. It is also the only berry cake I have ever created, haha. It really is awesome though! I made it gluten-free because I know many of my readers avoid gluten or grains all together. The crust is pretty much butter, eggs and coconut flour and I love its consistency. The filling is all berries and chia and the chia gelled so nicely I was able to slice the cake without the filling flowing right out of it. The piece of cake and the cake itself held their shape really well. Unfortunately I ran out of light by the time I cut it and couldn’t take a nice picture. As I mentioned before, I’m doing an incredibly bad job at planning and the cake was ready at 6:30 pm where I was able to catch only a couple of last rays of sun before the she hid behind the gigantic building in front of mine. How about you send me pictures of a slice? That would make my day!!!
Healthy Berry Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 large eggs
- pinch Salt
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 150 g Raspberries
- 150 g blueberries
- 150 g blackberries
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp white chia seeds (black will also work only look different)
- shredded coconut
- The night before (or at least 5 hours before), wash and only quickly drain berries in hands and add to a bowl. Add lemon juice, 1/4 cup honey and 2 Tbsp chia seeds, mix well and refrigerate.
- hours later or the next day, preheat oven to 400 F (200 °C).
- Melt butter and honey over very, very, very low heat while constantly stirring. As soon as melted remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk coconut flour and pinch of salt together until all lumps are out.
- Test butter honey mixture for temperature with your pinky finger. It should be room temperature at the most. If not, wait a little longer. Then add eggs and whisk vigorously until well combined.
- With a spatula mix coconut flour and liquid together until forming a uniform dough.
- Press dough into a greased 7" (18 cm) cake springform pan, and use a fork to prick the bottom.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes keeping an eye on it to make sure the top boarder doesn't burn.
- Take out and let cool down completely before removing the rim.
- Add gelled berry filling and top with shredded coconut.