Try this Homemade Mexican Salsa and you won’t ever buy a store-bought salsa again in your life! Mexican Salsa from scratch in just 25 minutes start to finish. Can I have a woot woot!
I may have to clarify a small thing for all of you lovely new people on my blog. I am German, yes, but I am married to a Mexican and I make Mexican salsa like a machine. If you need a recipe for an authentic Homemade Mexican Salsa from scratch, congrats, you just found the best and easiest in the world wide web. This salsa is pretty much the base for any Mexican red salsa. Some roast the tomatoes, some roast the chillies, some use several different chillies, some add other spices but in the end all use the same main ingredients for their salsa.
You need fresh tomatoes, cilantro stalks, onion, garlic, either Serrano or Jalapeño chilly, a chopping board, a knife, a pan with lid and a potato masher or fork and 25 minutes of your time. That’s it!
5 reasons this Homemade Mexican Salsa is the best:
- No more than 25 minutes and you can gobble up your nachos with salsa.
- Make it anywhere in the world. It contains ingredients easily available absolutely everywhere.
- No mixer or blender or any fancy kitchen gadgets required whats-o-ever and thus a scarcely equipped kitchen friendly recipe.
- You only need very few dishes.
- Chock-full of vitamin C and tastes AMAZING!
While dipping tortilla chips into this salsa is delicious, I prefer to make Huevo Ranchero or Huevos Divorciados or Tacos with Pulled Pork Made in the Oven or a Mexican Breakfast Bowl with it…..the possibilities are endless! I love having a batch of salsa in the fridge at all times to add to our breakfast eggs or spice our lunches.
This recipe is very popular on the blog so I made a recipe video for it :)
Homemade Mexican Salsa
- 3 large red tomatoes (700g)
- 1 medium sized red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 Serrano or Jalapeño chillies
- 10 stalks of cilantro
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Heat a pan or pot that has a lid over medium heat.
- Peel and very very finely chop onion and garlic.
- Wash and deseed chillies, then chop very very finely.
- Wash and destalk cilantro and use only the stems, chop very finely.
- Wash tomatoes and remove green part, then chop coarsely.
- Add a splash of olive oil to hot pan and immediately add chopped onion, garlic and chilly. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add cilantro stalks and cubed tomato, bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and cover for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and let simmer for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Use a potato masher or fork to mash the soft tomato cubes and serve in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves if desired.
PRINTABLE MEAL PLAN
Get your free 5-part Meal Prep Series and printable Meal Plan!