A mega delicious but still healthy and inexpensive Cabbage Carrot Salad perfect for barbecues and potlucks. The homemade cilantro-lime mayonnaise is what makes this salad unforgettable!
How do you cut cabbage and carrot for slaw or salad?
You have several options: food processor (both), mandoline (cabbage), grater (carrots), julienne peeler (carrots), knife (both).
The fastest is the food processor. Use the slicing attachment for the cabbage and the grater attachment for the carrots. For the prettiest salad I recommend the mandoline for the cabbage and the julienne peeler for the carrot. You get the most uniform and long pieces with these two devices.
How do you make mayonnaise from scratch?
It’s super quick to make but you need to pay a lot of attention to each step or you risk it curdling. Here is a full tutorial on how to make mayonnaise. So if this is your first time making mayo I strongly recommend reading through that tutorial and watching the video.
What to eat this salad with?
Frequently asked questions
Can I use red cabbage instead of green? Yes, you can.
Do I have to wash cabbage? Remove the outer layers and discard, then rinse the outside. Washing the inside depends on your comfort level. I personally don’t wash it unless while cutting I notice it’s sandy or dirty. If it has worms or insects I generally discard it completely.
How do you wash the inside of cabbage? The fastest and easiest way is to shred or slice first, then rinse and drain, then dry in the salad spinner.
I don’t like cilantro, what other herbs can I use? The best replacement for cilantro is basil or dill. They are equally soft and mild but still flavorful. Don’t use parsley or mint, they are too bitter and strong in such large quantities and when blended.
How long is carrot cabbage salad good for? If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. This is one of those salads that taste even better the next day. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Be aware that the vegetables release liquid over time, simply give the salad a toss each time before serving to reincorporate.
Cabbage Carrot Salad with Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise
- 800 g cabbage
- 800 g carrots
- 2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 Tbsp mustard
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Sea salt - + extra if needed
- 1/4 tsp Pepper - + extra if needed
- 1 cup avocado oil - (or any other flavor-less oil)
- Cut cabbage into very thin stripes. Use a mandoline or your food processor with the slicing attachment or a sharp knife.
- Peel and julienne or shred carrots.
- Wash and de-stalk cilantro.
- Add egg, mustard, lime juice, salt, and pepper to a tall jar that fits your immersion blender, then start blending and slowly add oil in a continuous thin string until the mayonnaise thickens. Once it thickened, remove 3-4 Tbsp and add to another jar, add 1 cup cilantro leaves and use the same blender to blend. Once smooth, add as much mayonnaise as you like to the cilantro mayo. (Watch video for further demonstration)
- Add remaining cilantro leaves and cilantro lime mayonnaise to carrots and cabbage and mix with your hands until well combined. Try at this point to determine if it needs more seasoning. It most likely will need more salt and pepper.