Get back into a meal prepping routine now that summer fun is almost over! Keep summer in your lunch for now with these Healthy Meal Prep Bowls.
We are 6 days away from getting back into full routine. School, afternoon activities, full-time work, etc. Why are summers always so short?? You probably all know by now I spent ALL SUMMER LONG in Germany with my family. My kids spent their days in grandma’s garden with their cousins. Playing, fighting, running, climbing, but mostly, making unforgettable memories. I love summers like never before and am really sad that it’s almost over.
I’m excited for fall and pumpkins and soups and comfort food and….yes, I’ve got to admit it….school, haha. I’m not quite ready, however, to let summer go completely yet. I still need to start our school and work routine with some summery healthy meal prep bowls that remind us of the sun and heat and picnics and barbecues outside.
These Healthy Meal Prep Bowls SCREAM summer! Crunchy fresh cucumber, cherry tomatoes that ripened in the sun in my dad’s garden, quinoa, cold chickpeas, soft and salty feta, spicy and crunchy red onion and the most delicious lemon tahini dressing EVER!
Healthy Meal Prep Bowls for Work
I love making healthy lunch bowls for my work week because they keep my energy up and help me keep mood swings at bay. I cook chickpeas in my Instant Pot once a month and freeze them in 2 cup portions so they are easy to just take out and throw in my meal prep bowls for work. I cook quinoa in my instant pot, too. Quinoa cooked in the instant pot tastes out of this world!
Quinoa, chickpeas and fresh crunchy vegetables are the perfect combination of taste and texture. Plus, they are super nutritious! Get in your protein with the chickpeas and feta, your carbs with the quinoa and as always, fill half your plate with veggies. Top it all with an out of this world Lemon Tahini dressing that brings summer to your lunch time. Healthy Meal Prep Bowls for Work….easy peasy lemon squeezy!
How to do healthy meal prep for the week
The most important is to figure out if you can deal with eating the same lunch for several days in a row. I’ve got to admit that I’m not a big fan of eating the same even two days in a row. I love the simplicity of preparing one dish for the whole week though. 3o minutes prep and you’re done for almost all week. Sounds appealing, right?
Something I like to do a lot is make 2 different recipes for my husband and me and then eat recipe A on Monday and Wednesday and recipe B on Tuesday and Thursday. Another great healthy meal prep bowl recipe to switch it off with are these Vietnamese Chicken Meal Prep Bowls. Eat hot one day, and cold the other if you make the Chicken Meal Prep Bowls and these Greek Salad inspired Healthy Meal Prep Bowls both for one week.
The key to a healthy diet: meal prepping
I know you are probably tired of hearing it time and time again here on Green Healthy Cooking. I will talk about it incessantly though. The key to “sticking to” a healthy diet is meal prepping. Healthy Meal Prep Bowls are the solution to avoiding eating unhealthy.
For more healthy lunch ideas check out my healthy lunches e-book :) And for advice on what lunch containers are the best for taking your meal prep bowls to work, check out this post and scroll to about the middle.
Healthy Meal Prep Bowls
- Cook quinoa as instructed on package or cook it in the Instant Pot by preheating the instant pot with the "sauté" button, then once hot add a splash of oil and the quinoa and toast it for a couple minutes. Then, add water and sea salt, and immediately put on lid and seal. Make sure the venting knob is set to sealing. Press "cancel" and then "manual" and set the Instant Pot to 1 minute on high pressure. Then wait for natural pressure release (about 15 minutes).
- In the meantime, wash and cut vegetables and divide all ingredients in 4 parts and add to 4 large bowls.
- Prepare salad dressing my mixing lemon juice, tahini, honey and olive oil in an airtight container and shake until well combined.
- Once quinoa is cooked, let cool and then divide into 4 parts and add to bowls.
- Immediately refrigerate and take 1 bowl to work with about 4th of the dressing. Add dressing to bowl minutes before eating.