Egg muffins are a quick and healthy breakfast as part of the ideal meal prep breakfast. This gluten-free muffin packs enough protein to keep you full all morning.
These egg muffins only require a few ingredients to make. They are gluten-free, Whole30 compliant, and a keto/low carb breakfast solution. I like to make them vegetarian, but you can add meat if you enjoy it and want some extra protein.
If you are dairy-free, you can omit the cheese and use nutritional yeast or vegan cheese instead.
It’s easy to double this recipe to have enough to feed a family of any size in the morning.
What should I put in an egg muffin?
A variety of fresh herbs makes these muffins taste fresh and provides a lot of variety. But the recipe is very versatile. As a result, you can add many different ingredients for new flavors and unique combinations. Great add-ins for your egg muffins include:
- Any variety of cheese
Anything that you like in a frittata will taste great in these muffins.
How do you whisk eggs?
The longer you whisk eggs, the runnier they will become. Follow these steps for perfectly whisked eggs:
- Swish the whisk back and forth to break up the eggs and make them foamy.
- Next, switch to a circular motion. Whisk until the eggs are all a solid yellow color. You shouldn’t be able to tell the whites from the yolk.
Also, whisking eggs properly will create the fluffiest eggs.
How do you keep muffins from sticking?
Without properly treating the pan first, the egg muffins will definitely stick.
- If you aren’t using silicone muffin liners, you’ll need to butter and flour the tin very well.
- Silicone liners are the best choice for these muffins. (this is an affiliate link and I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you purchase using this link).
- Don’t use paper liners – they will stick to the muffins.
- Let the egg muffins cool for about ten minutes before attempting to remove them from the baking tin.
Why do my egg muffins deflate?
This is completely normal and not a failing of the chef! The heat causes the muffins to expand, but there is nothing in these muffins that will help it keep that shape. As a result, they will deflate as they cool.
Storing, Freezing and Reheating
Not only are these muffins incredibly versatile, but they are also the perfect meal prep breakfast food. They will keep well in the refrigerator for up to four days. As a result, you can have a quick and nutritious breakfast waiting for you.
Reheat the muffins for about fifteen seconds in the microwave before eating.
You can also freeze them. If you can, freeze them in a silicone bag to prevent them from sticking.
They will last for two months in the freezer and can be reheated right from frozen. Wrap the muffin in a damp paper towel and reheat in 20-second increments in the microwave until warm. If you overcook them in the microwave, the eggs may become tough. Alternatively, let them defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat in the microwave OR under the broiler (my favroite way).
Other Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Herb Egg Muffins
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh herb leaves my favorite: dill, parsley, cilantro, basil, chives. All the soft ones.
- sea salt
- 1/2-1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Crack eggs into a big bowl and whisk until no longer "snotty". The longer you whisk the more liquid it becomes.
- Destalk herbs and finely chop herb leaves. Add to whisked eggs.
- Add sea salt & pepper to eggs and whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Line a muffin tin with silicone muffin liners (*see notes) and divide egg mix into all muffin liners. Then sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until eggs are set. They will form a dome at first and then flatten while they cool.
- Enjoy immediately or once completely cooled store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze in a silicone bag. To defrost, place in the refrigerator overnight, then either microwave or place in the 350F oven for 3-5 minutes.
PRINTABLE MEAL PLAN
Get your free 5-part Meal Prep Series and printable Meal Plan!