THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MANN'S
These chicken spaghetti squash boats can be prepared in only 20 minutes!!! Fill them with mega healthy Broccoli Cole Slaw seasoned with cajun spice, top with delicious melty cheese, and pop under the broiler for only a couple of minutes. PERFECTION on the dinner table!
This is the most veggie-loaded recipe I’ve made all year and I LOVE it!!! The base itself is a vegetable, the filling is mostly vegetable and yet, it feels like you’re eating lasagna. Mind-blown.
Let’s get right into the details.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
There are several options but I’ll focus on my 2 favorites here:
#1 Pressure cook: Wash your squash, cut it in half lengthwise, remove its seeds with a spoon and season with a little sea salt.
Add a trivet to your pressure cooker, add 1 US metric cup of water to the bottom and then place the squash halves cut side up on the trivet.
Make sure the sealing ring is placed correctly. Close the lid. Turn the knob to sealing and pressure cook on high pressure for 8-10 minutes depending on its size. I used a 2.2 lbs squash and 2-3 lbs squashes should all cook in 8-ish minutes. If you use a 4-lbs or bigger squash add 1-2 minutes.
Quick release the pressure and tadaaaa ready! I wait a couple of minutes for the handles of the trivet to be cold enough so I can touch them and that way it’s easy to pull out the squash halves.
#2 Roast in the oven: Wash your squash, cut it in half lengthwise, remove its seeds with a spoon and season with a little sea salt.
Preheat oven to 400F (200C) and place squash halves cut-side down on a baking sheet. Once the oven is hot, roast for 40-60 minutes depending on the squash’s size. Use a fork to insert and find out after 40 minutes. It should easily slide in.
Remove from the oven when it’s soft and tadaaa ready!
Best Chicken Spaghetti Squash Filling of All Times
Spaghetti squash has a very very mild taste so you want to fill it with a very flavorful filling. Chicken with broccoli coleslaw seasoned with cajun spice is about the best thing on this earth! SOOO flavorful!!
If you don’t know what Cajun Seasoning is, lot me quickly list the ingredients to give you a broad idea of the deliciousness: paprika, coriander, mustard, turmeric, fennel, black pepper, cumin, and garlic.
The chicken absorbs all flavors pretty easy and cooks super fast and broccoli coleslaw is the most amazing veggie mix to sautée because it holds its shape amazingly and doesn’t get all mushy even after putting under the broiler! Now imagine these two awesome ingredients seasoned with cajun, in the cavity of spaghetti squash and with melted cheese on top *insert-big-drool emoji-here*
I mean, you all know I’m obsessed with Broccoli. If you’re like me, make sure to also check out how to make broccoli rice. Best side dish ever!
Big big shout out to this amazing company for sponsoring this post. You are awesome! I am so happy I was given the opportunity to create a recipe for you! It was a real pleasure to come up with this recipe.
And thank YOU, my lovely readers, for supporting the brands that support Green Healthy Cooking! I hope you love this Chicken Spaghetti Squash as much as I did! Make sure to tag @greenhealthycooking when you post a photo of your finished dish. I’d love to see it!
Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2-3 lbs)
- 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil (or any other high smoke point oil)
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 bag Mann's Broccoli Cole Slaw
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- sea salt
- 1 cup grated melty cheese (Swiss, Emmentaler, Edamer, Cheddar...)
- parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Wash and dry spaghetti squash and cut in half lengthwise.
- Either cook in the pressure cooker for 8 minutes on high pressure quick pressure release or the in the oven for 40-ish minutes at 400F (see more detailed instructions in blog post above).
- While spaghetti squash is cooking prepare filling. Preheat a large pan over medium heat.
- While pan is preheating cut chicken breast into 2 inch cubes.
- Add oil to hot pan and then place chicken cubes carefully into pan making sure to not overcrowd the pan and leave some room between each cube (see video).
- Salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle evenly with cajun seasoning.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes on one side and 2-3 minutes on the other or until done.
- Add Mann's Broccoli Cole Slaw and stir-fry until the slaw softens to your liking. It's better to undercook a little as everything will still go under the broiler.
- Place cooked spaghetti squash on a baking sheet, fill with chicken-slaw mix and top with grated cheese.
- Broil on high for 5 minutes or until cheese has completely melted.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!