This quick and easy Grilled Zucchini is the perfect healthy side dish for the barbecue. Take zucchini to a whole new level this summer by grilling it!
Zucchini is super versatile, it cooks fast, is low-carb, gluten-free and of course, mega delicious! You can serve it with your favorite meat or chicken recipe for a complete meal, or on its own.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Zucchini – choose medium-sized zucchinis that are smooth and firm. Get one zucchini per person.
- Thyme – for this grilled zucchini recipe I used fresh thyme. I strongly recommend using fresh thyme over dried thyme. It tastes SO much better.
- Oil – I like using olive oil to coat my grilled vegetables, but any other flavorless oil also works well. Avocado oil or sunflower oil are good options.
- Sea Salt & Pepper – Use freshly cracked pepper and sea salt if you have them, but regular salt and pepper work just as fine.
How to Make Grilled Zucchini
- Preheat the grill to 400F. Wash well and dry your zucchinis. Then cut off the hard stems.
- Slice the zucchini. For this you have two options: you can use a mandoline on a thick setting or use a large sharp knife. I like slicing my zucchini lengthwise because that makes the flipping on the barbecue easier, but you can cut rounds as well. Be extra careful if using a mandoline and preferably use a hand guard so you don’t cut your fingers. Never use a mandoline for the last bit of vegetable, it is better to use a knife for the last cut.
- Place the sliced zucchini on a baking sheet or large plate. Then dip your fingers in oil and then spread well on each slice. Flip the slices and repeat the process on the other side. Make sure the zucchini well covered on both sides.
- Season the zucchini with sea salt and pepper to taste and then sprinkle with fresh thyme.
- Place the zucchini slices on the grill and close the lid to maintain the heat. Grill for 2-3 minutes on one side. Use tongs to flip over and grill for another 2-3 minutes on the other side or until you get brown grill marks on each side.
- Serve the grilled zucchini with your favorite barbecue meal and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you grill zucchini without getting soggy?
To avoid getting soggy zucchini cut thick slices about 1/3 inch so it cooks evenly on the grill. Thinner slices will cook much faster and become mushy and soggy and hard to handle.
Can you grill zucchini on a grill pan?
Absolutely! If you don’t have a barbecue or you want the same grilled flavor on the colder months, you can use a grill pan. Just make sure the pan surface is hot and your zucchini is well covered in oil. Prepare it in the same way as for the barbecue.
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Preheat the grill to 400F.
- Cut off the stem of the zucchini, then slice it either lengthwise with a mandoline or knife. Or cut it into rounds. Make sure it's about 1/4" thick. Be SUPER careful when using a mandoline.
- Use your fingers to coat each slice with oil on both sides, and season with sea salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
- Place on the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes on one side, then flip and grill another 2-3 minutes on the other.