The BEST recipe for Grilled Asparagus. Crispy, smoky and delicious! It is so easy to make that it will surely become a favorite summer side dish.
The barbeque is not only for meat but also for vegetables. They turn out amazing when you grill them, especially asparagus!
I love asparagus all year round whenever I can find them. But now that summer is around the corner, I can’t wait to eat them grilled in my new BBQ! They go amazingly well with this Balsamic Grilled Chicken and these Easy Grilled Chicken Burgers.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Asparagus – choose spears that are thick and meaty over the thinner ones. The thicker the asparagus the better it will hold its shape on the grill. It will also help make each spear crispy on the outside but nice and tender on the inside, rather than floppy.
- Olive Oil – my favorite oil for this recipe is olive oil, but you could also use any other flavorless oil like avocado oil.
- Lemon – freshly squeezed lemon brings out the flavor of these grilled asparagus, don’t skip it! Fresh lime works well too.
- Salt & Pepper – I like using herbed sea salt, but regular sea salt or your favorite salt can be used as well. Also, try to go for freshly cracked pepper if you have it, otherwise, regular pepper is fine too.
How to Make Grilled Asparagus
- Start by preheating your grill to 400 F. Then, grab a bunch of asparagus and cut off a generous amount of the fibrous ends, about 1.5 – 2 inches because these are very hard to chew.
- Next, wash well and dry the asparagus. Take your time to really dry each spear and make sure there isn’t any water left.
- Then, drizzle a little olive oil over them and use your hands to cover each spear completely with oil, otherwise, they will dry out on the grill. Season with herbed sea salt and pepper.
- Place each asparagus spear perpendicular to the grates (you don’t want them to slip between the grates!), and close the grill.
- Grill for about 5 minutes on one side, then use tongs to flip them and grill for another 5 minutes on the other side. The goal is to get a nice brown color from the grate. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn. The thinner the spear the faster it cooks. Do not leave them on the grill for too long or they will become floppy and sad rather than crispy.
- When done, place the grilled asparagus on a serving dish or tray. Squeeze some lemon over them and enjoy. Yum!
Servings: 2 people
The BEST recipe for Grilled Asparagus. Crispy, smoky and delicious! It is so easy to make that it will surely become a favorite summer side dish.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- herbed sea salt
- Preheat your grill to 400F.
- Cut off the dry ends of the asparagus. Wash and then dry the spears thoroughly with a kitchen towel.
- Drizzle olive oil over it and season with sea salt and pepper and then work the oil into the asparagus with your hands. Make sure the spears are completely coated in oil.
- Place on the grill for 5-8 minutes on one side, then flip and grill another 5-8 minutes on the other. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus. Your goal is brown grill grate marks but the asparagus still holding its shape.
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice and enjoy.
Calories: 63kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 16mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg
What’s your clean eating vibe?Take this fun QUIZZ and find out in 10 seconds!
Great recipe! The asparagus turned out amazing.
Done! lemon gives such a special taste. Great suggestion Lorena!