Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots and Broccolini, a quick and easy healthy side dish that is gorgeous-looking, super healthy and absolutely delicious!
The Garlic Butter in this Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots and Broccolini recipe says it all. It’s BEYOND delicious. I mean, these two simple and clean ingredients just blow my mind. Put them on anything and watch and see the transformation to gourmet food.
I had never tried broccolini before. My local Costco had them in the cool room’s produce section and they immediately caught my eye for their bright green color. I figured, roasting them with butter and garlic was going to make them absolutely delicious regardless of their innate taste. Smart, eh?
What goes with Broccolini?
Broccolini are fairly bitter in taste in my opinion. If you boil them they won’t taste as nicely as broccoli I believe. Online I read that broccolini are sweeter than broccoli but I didn’t experience that at all. Maybe I just love broccoli too much.
As with any bitter or strong tasting vegetable, I decided to roast it combined with a sweet root vegetable (carrot) and smother in butter and garlic. What a great, great idea you guys. The combination tastes incredible! Not only do carrots go well with broccolini because of taste but also consistency. Broccolini have thin but hard stems and they need a while in the oven to cook through and soften. Just as long as halved thin carrots. Which brings me to the answer of the next question.
Are broccolini stems edible? -> YES! Absolutely!
When is broccolini in season?
Broccolini likes cool climates and is intolerant to extremely cold climates, thus it’s mostly grown in central California during spring, summer and fall. It’s basically available almost all year, just as carrots. Which is why the carrots and broccolini combo is so convenient.
Health Benefits of Roasted Carrots and Broccolini
Carrots are chock full of Vitamin A and Broccolini are chock full of Vitamin C. With 1 serving of these Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots and Broccolini you cover more than 100% of your daily need for these two vitamins. Isn’t that amazing? Pair it with your favorite protein and you’re dinner is complete. I suggest these Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts for example. Doesn’t Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts with Butter Garlic Roasted Carrots and Broccolini not sound like a dinner for royals?
Now let’s get to the super simple recipe:
Butter Garlic Roasted Carrots and Broccolini
- 1 lbs carrots (450g)
- 1/2 lbs broccolini (225g)
- 1.5 oz butter (40g)
- 2 cloves garlic (20g)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200°C).
- Wash (do not peel) carrots and broccolini well and dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Cut thick carrots lengthwise in two and leave thing ones as is. Pieces should not be thicker than your thumb.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over very low heat. Once melted, add crushed garlic, salt and pepper to it and whisk until well combined.
- On a large olive oil greased cookie sheet or baking sheet lay out all carrots in a single layer and rub in half of the seasoned garlic butter into the carrots with your hands. Making sure they are covered all over.
- Put in hot oven and set a timer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, put broccolini in a large bowl and add rest of seasoned garlic butter and rub into broccolini as good as possible to cover them completely in butter.
- Once timer goes off, add broccolini to cookie/baking sheet trying to keep them and carrots all in one layer.
- Put back in the oven and bake for a further 25-35 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. I like mine crisper, so I only put them in another 25 minutes.
PRINTABLE MEAL PLAN
Get your free 5-part Meal Prep Series and printable Meal Plan!