These Almond Granola Bars are protein-rich and iron-rich easy no-bake granola bars sweetened with maple syrup and a tiny bit of white chocolate. Ohh, and they taste like chocolate covered almonds by the way ;)
In summer my kids expect ice cream all.the.time and I don’t blame them. It’s so hot and there is ice cream trucks and ice cream shops absolutely everywhere. I found that the only way to resist temptation is to offer a healthy but equally delicious alternative.
What better replacement than homemade ice cream or homemade popsicles, right? Well, sometimes even that doesn’t cut it. Something even more fun needs to sit on the table. That’s how I came up with the recipe for these Almond Granola Bars.
It had to be a no-bake granola bar because summer and oven heat do NOT go well together. Plus, when I need them, I need them right away. As in: immediately! That’s what the ice cream shop offers, too. Immediate satisfaction. It’s hard to compete with that but possible ;)
Anyway, so here we have a delight of oats that offer tons of fibre. Almond flour and ultra creamy almond butter that offer both protein and iron but most importantly TASTE! Hemp seeds for extra nutrition. Maple syrup for delicious mapely sweetness and cocoa powder and white chocolate because…..chooooocoooolaaaaate….
None of the ingredients need to be cooked and taste great raw, hence no-bake granola bars. A cup of almond flour, half cup almond butter and sliced almonds sprinkled on top, hence Almond Granola Bars.
And now in case you were wondering why I didn’t post a new recipe in so many days. This is where my family and I spent a couple days:
Understand why I disconnected from the blog world? I didn’t cook a thing. I didn’t take one single photo and I just spent all day watching the scenery or walking through the little town of Wakefield. What a beautiful place to be…..
Almond Granola Bars
- 1.5 cups old-fashiones rolled oats (150g)
- 1 cup almond flour (115g)
- 1/2 cup almond butter (150g)
- 1/4 cup dutch-processed or raw cacao (25g)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (40g)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (70ml)
- 100 g white chocolate
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Add all ingredients except white chocolate and sliced almonds to a food processor and process until a thick paste forms. You will have to stop and mix all up with a spatula several times so it mixes well together.
- Once everything has a dough-like consistency, line a freezable square or rectangular container with parchment paper and press in the dough with your fingers until evenly distributed and flat. (Make sure the dough is high enough for the bars to be thick and not break too easily).
- Put in the freezer.
- In the meantime, melt white chocolate in a double boiler.
- Take out granola dough from the freezer and spread white chocolate on top and sliced almonds immediately after so they stick to the still soft white chocolate.
- Return to the freezer for at least 10 minutes.
- Cut into granola sized rectangles and enjoy!
- To store, but in an airtight container and in the fridge. They should be good for at least a week in the fridge or several weeks in the freezer.