A recipe for Homemade Crackers that require only 15 minutes of work. The perfect power snack for cracker lovers on a healthy diet. They are crunchy and melt in your mouth at the same time. Magical!
My kids love crackers but a lot of store-bought crackers have some pretty dubious ingredient lists. And the few that are sold with only clean ingredients have exorbitant prices. Ugh!
I figured it’s about time to test around for the production of Homemade Crackers and … tadaaaaa, they turned out pretty darn good and I may even have to say, better than store-bought crackers ;)
Most crackers even though “salty” have high amounts of refined sugar in them. I was surprised myself. To avoid funky ingredients simply make your own crackers at home. It is easy and fun and you end up with a delicious smelling kitchen on top.
How to make Homemade Crackers from Scratch
In order for the crackers to be crunchy, you need a big amount of dry ingredients and a small amount of wet ingredients.
In this case, we use only a little bit of sesame oil, a little bit of honey and then butter instead of a liquid fat to achieve crunchiness.
Corn starch serves as an anti-caking agent to avoid the flour and butter to puff and have a pastry-like consistency.
Roll out the dough very thinly, too, to achieve maximum crunchiness.
How to store Homemade Crackers
The best way to store homemade crackers is in an airtight container at room temperature.
The absolute most important here is to wait for the crackers to completely cool down to room temperature before storing. If you put a lid on the air-tight container while the crackers are still warm, the moisture will condensate and ruin your crackers.
Let the crackers cool on a cooling rack before transferring into the container.
What to serve crackers with
These Homemade Crackers taste great on its own but a great way to accompany them or to make the power snack more complete, you may want to serve them with a Green Yogurt Tahini Dip or with delicious Goat Cheese Balls.
I sometimes send them to school for my son or to work for my husband together with the dip or cheese balls and they love those combinations.
- Add flour, corn starch, baking powder, sea salt, sesame seeds and butter cut up in 1/2" (1cm) cubes to a food processor and process until little crumbs formed.
- In a small bowl whisk together honey and sesame oil until well combined.
- Slowly add honey oil into food processor while running.
- Add ice cold water 1 Tbsp at a time and continue processing until a ball starts forming.
- Once a bowl started forming, dump dough onto a clean work surface and quickly form into one ball. Do not overwork the dough or the butter will start to get too warm with your warm hand.
- Wrap the dough into clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180ºC).
- Roll out dough evenly to about 1/8" (1/4 cm) thickness on a floured work surface sprinkling flour on the top of the dough, too, to prevent from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Use a cookie cutter of desired shape to cut out crackers and place on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden.