Breakfast tacos are a filling and healthy way to feed a crowd for breakfast. With a table full of toppings, everyone can have their favorites. This is a fun and easy breakfast recipe idea!
Breakfast tacos are served with scrambled eggs and any other toppings you can imagine. I have my favorites, but the more you make this easy breakfast food, the more you will refine your choices on what tastes best.
This popular breakfast is also a great solution to feed a crowd. Double or triple the amount of scrambled eggs and offer a taco bar of possible toppings. This way, everyone can create their own perfect taco. While some people love meat on their breakfast taco, it’s simple to make these vegetarian because the eggs provide plenty of filling protein.
Are breakfast tacos healthy?
Like many other dishes, the nutrition of the breakfast taco is depended on what you put in it. This is a gluten-free meal because of the corn tortillas. It’s vegetarian if you omit meat. For keto, whole30 or other diet plans, just include the ingredients that match what you are allowed to consume.
What kinds of breakfast tacos are there?
It’s easy to customize these tacos to suit everyone’s tastes. The base of all breakfast tacos is scrambled eggs. After that, you can follow my suggestions or provide lots of options. Whether you like simple or all the ingredients piled on, there is something for everyone.
Some of the best ingredients to put in breakfast tacos are:
- Refried beans
- Salsa (It’s easy to make your own Mexican salsa or salsa verde)
- Cheese (for a Mexican taste use queso fresco, but you can use anything you like)
- Black beans (cook them in your Instant Pot!)
- Sweet potatoes
- Sour cream
Can you make these ahead?
These breakfast tacos work great for meal prep as well IF you use flour tortillas. Unfortunately, corn tortillas don’t hold their shape. You can fill the taco, wrap it and store it tightly wrapped in a beeswax wrap or a sealable container. You can keep them in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Let all the ingredients cool to room temperature before wrapping. This ensures that there is no moisture to make your tortilla soggy. And if you use wet ingredients like salsa or spinach, drain off as much liquid as you can first.
You can also freeze breakfast tacos. They will last for three months this way.
The best way to reheat breakfast tacos is to put them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Put them in an oven-proof dish and reheat at 400F. If you put it in the oven while you are getting ready, a warm healthy breakfast will be waiting for you.
You can also pop them in the microwave for three to four minutes.
The Best Breakfast Tacos
- Reheat the refried beans. Peel and slice avocado, and wash and spin dry cilantro.
- Crash eggs into a large bowl, season with sea salt and pepper, and whisk until well combined.
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat and once hot lightly oil and add the whisked eggs. Use a spatula to immediately move around and scramble. Once cooked to your liking, remove from the heat and set aside in a bowl or on a plate to avoid overcooking.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add tortillas for about 1 minute per side then start building the tacos.
- Spread a little refried beans on the tortilla, add some scrambled egg, sliced avocado, cilantro, salsa and crumbled up queso fresco and serve.
PRINTABLE MEAL PLAN
Get your free 5-part Meal Prep Series and printable Meal Plan!