A super easy, quick and delicious baked haddock recipe with herb couscous for those busy weeknights. A filling and highly nutritious meal that you can put together in just 20 minutes!
Fish is such an amazing ingredient, you just gotta love it. It cooks super fast and provides you with a lot of important nutrients, such as vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids. This baked haddock recipe is perfect when you have little time to put dinner on the table, plus is family-friendly. It’s a win-win :)
I combined it with this amazing herb couscous that literally takes no time to make. You just need a kettle, couscous and some aromatic herbs. That’s it!
Ingredients & Substitutions
Couscous – you can use regular or whole-wheat couscous. For this baked haddock recipe, I used regular couscous.
Haddock – it has a great texture and mild flavor. If you can’t find it, cod, sole or halibut can be used instead.
Fresh Herbs – I used a combination of fresh parsley, dill and mint leaves. If you need to substitute, I recommend you still use fresh herbs. Fennel, tarragon, and thyme are good alternatives.
Olive Oil – you only need a drizzle to make all the ingredients stick together. In a pinch, you can use any other vegetable oil.
Butter – use butter or ghee to prevent the fillets from sticking to the baking dish.
Sea Salt and Pepper – add as much or as little as you like.
Lemon Juice – what’s fish without lemon? Boring! Lemon is a must!
How to make Baked Haddock with Herb Couscous
- Take the haddock fillets out of the fridge and pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with sea salt and pepper and set aside.
- Get an ovenproof dish and place it in the oven. Preheat the oven, with the dish inside, to 400F. Grab a kettle and boil some water.
- Add 1 cup of couscous to a bowl and season with sea salt. Add 1 cup of boiling water to the bowl, give it a quick stir and quickly cover it with a plate. Set aside. Double the amount if you are cooking for four people. For perfect couscous every time, see my How to Cook Couscous tutorial.
- Get a chopping board and finely chop the parsley, mint leaves and dill.
- Once the oven is hot, remove the dish from the oven and place it on a heat-proof surface. Add a blob of butter to the dish and swirl it around until is almost melted. Remember to wear oven mitts, the dish is hot!
- Add the haddock fillets to the buttered dish, season a bit more with salt and pepper if needed, and then place the dish in the oven for 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- By now your couscous should be ready. Fluff it with a fork, then add 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the chopped herbs to the bowl and stir well.
- Serve the couscous on plates and add the baked haddock once it’s ready. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and enjoy!
Baked Haddock Recipe With Couscous
- 1 lbs haddock fillet(s)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup dill
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- Pat dry haddock fillet(s) and season generously with sea salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400F with an ovenproof baking dish inside it.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a pot or saucepan with a tight-fitting lid and once boiling add couscous and a little sea salt. Cover with the lid and immediately remove from the heat and set aside.
- In the meantime, chop herbs finely.
- By now the oven and dish should be hot, remove the dish, add butter and haddock and place back in the oven for 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and season with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and herbs, then serve on a plate and put cooked haddock on top.
- Drizzle with plenty of lemon juice and enjoy.