Watermelon Arugula Salad is the most amazing summer salad! Juicy and sweet watermelon and salty feta cheese on a bed of peppery arugula. Yum!
I am a BIG fan of fruit in salads. Blueberries, grapes, apple… it all tastes amazing in a savory salad. Watermelon takes it to a whole new level though because it’s so incredibly juicy.
The Salad Ingredients
It could not be any simpler. Arugula, watermelon, and feta cheese were meant to be in salad. Trust me! Season just with sea salt, pepper, and olive oil, and if you don’t mind the sugar also some Balsamic reduction.
If you prefer to not use any added sugar then you can either simply omit the Balsamic reduction OR replace it with simple Balsamic vinegar.
Other than that I do not recommend exchanging any ingredients. Using different lettuce will result in a completely different salad. If feta cheese is too strong for your liking simply use less of it but still use feta. You will love it in this salad, promise. The watermelon reduces the strong flavor of the feta.
If you DO love feta, make sure you also try my Nectarine Arugula Salad. It also has delicious feta!
How To Cut a Watermelon Into Cubes
I’ve tried it all ways possible and this is by far my favorite method (see video for visual presentation):
- Cut the watermelon in half from the stem downwards, parallel to the lines on the watermelon skin.
- Put the watermelon half cut-side down on a cutting board and then slice it lengthwise all the way across into about 1″ thick stripes.
- Turn the sliced watermelon half 90 degrees and slice again the same way to create squares.
- Now you can basically remove logs of watermelon that can easily be cubed.
- Whatever you won’t need for the Watermelon Arugula Salad store in an airtight container in the fridge for snacking. It lasts perfectly fine for up to 48 hours.
Watermelon Arugula Salad
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 3 oz feta cheese
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic reduction / glaze
- Cut the watermelon into cubes until you have about 2 cups full.
- Add cubed watermelon and crumbled feta on top of arugula in a large salad bowl.
- Season the salad with sea salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle extra virgin olive oil and Balsamic reduction over it.
- Give the salad a good toss to combine and enjoy!