This Sticky Chicken Recipe is out of this world delicious! Sticky chicken thighs in a honey garlic soy sauce served over rice and vegetables.
How to Make Sticky Chicken
Most recipes for sticky anything call for a ton of sugar. You can absolutely make sticky chicken with just a little honey though.
The most important part is to reduce the sauce as long as necessary until it becomes super sticky.
Make a marinade for the chicken, then stir fry it in a pan and once nice and brown set aside. Then go ahead and make the sauce.
Add all sauce ingredients to a wide pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and then simmer and stir until it’s reduced to the point it becomes sticky and thick like honey.
What to Serve Sticky Chicken With
Well, clearly rice!!! The absolute best is Instant Pot Rice. You don’t have to watch it, babysit it, and it comes out perfect every single time!
Also, don’t forget to add some veggies to make it a complete and healthy meal.
I love broccoli with this or carrots and snow peas. The easiest and fastest way to prep any veggies is to julienne them, add to a colander, place on top of a bowl and then pour boiling water from the kettle over them.
No need to babysit either. Just pour the boiling water over the vegetables, place a lid on top, and then let them sit in the colander over the bowl. They’ll basically cook thanks to the first contact with the boiling water and then the remaining steam coming up again from the bowl beneath them.
The veggies have to be super thinly cut though. Use a Julienne Peeler. (this is an affiliate link and I may receive a small commission if you buy it through the link at no extra cost to you) or a sharp knife and cut vegetables into super thin stripes.
You can serve the sticky chicken over veggie noodles as well. Use a spiralizer and spiralize some zucchini and bell pepper and then stir-fry until slightly tender.
Vietnamese Sticky Chicken
- Wash and dry chicken with a paper towel and cut into 1" (2.5cm) cubes and put in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp fish sauce and 1 Tbsp soy sauce. This is the chicken's marinade.
- Pour marinade over chicken and mix well with your hands to cover all cubes from all sides. Set aside.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add a dollop of flavorless oil (e.g. avocado oil) and once hot add chicken cubes in two batches and fry until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan, leaving the juices in the pan (use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove chicken).
- Add 1 minced clove of garlic, 2 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp fish sauce, 2 Tbsp soy sauce and 2 Tbsp rice vinegar and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and let simmer stirring often until sauce thickens to a honey-like consistency.
- Once sauce has thickened, add chicken back in pan and move to coat all cubes and cook for maybe 30 seconds to heat up the chicken again.
- Serve over rice and vegetables and pour some sticky sauce over all of it.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.