Learn how to make your own chai spice mix so you can have a 100% Homemade Chai Latte in the comfort of your home for a fraction of coffee shop price.
GOOD MORNING BEAUTIES!! Feeling all fresh and energetic yet? No? Well, when I get up I don’t feel like that either….EVER! Let’s just put it the understated way: I am not a morning person ;)
I don’t want to see anybody and I especially don’t want to “hear” anything. I have two kids though, remember? So both is practically impossible. I have to deal with my I-hate-the-world-morning-mood in the best possible way in order not to kill my breed.
This Homemade Chai Latte accelerates the “you may speak now” face ;)
What Spices go in a Homemade Chai Spice Latte?
In my opinion, the best ones to add are cinnamon, clove, ginger, cardamom and anis star.
You can leave out any you don’t like of course, that’s the beauty of a Homemade Chai Latte. You are the boss, you decide what goes in there.
The ratios depend a lot on each individual’s liking, however, in general I would say, go easy on the clove, cardamom and anis star and be generous with cinnamon and ginger.
Make sure you strain your spices once the tea is infused. My husband loves it with all the spices still floating around but he’s a bit weird. I’m sure you are more normal like me and prefer it stained ;)
How to make frothed milk without a machine
I don’t have an expensive espresso machine with those fancy milk froth thingies so I have to become creative to make frothed milk.
It’s not that hard, promise. You only need a tight sealable glass container and some muscle. Shake hot milk A LOT and you end up with beautifully frothed milk.
The best way is actually to reheat the milk often and then shake again, reheat, shake, reheat, shake etc. I’m lazy though so I just pour the hot milk in the jar, close the lid, shake like a crazy person once and that’s it. Good enough!
So now you have it, how to make frothed milk without a machine? Shake it, shake it, shake, shake it, shake it, shake it (oh oh). Shake it, shake it like a Polaroid picture, shake it, shake it…. ;)
Beautifully frothed milk, right? Besides, this is my morning fix, remember? I NEED it and I need it FAST! Homemade Chai Latte, I love you!
If you love this hot beverage and its spices, I’m sure you are also going to LOVE this Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate.
Homemade Chai Latte
- Grind turbinado sugar in a coffee grinder until very fine in texture. Almost like powdered sugar.
- Add ground turbinado to a bowl and add all the other ground spices and whisk OR add sugar and spiced to a tightly sealable container, seal and shake.
- For one serving, bring 1.5 cups of milk to the boil over medium heat, while stirring often to prevent from burning to the bottom.
- Once boiling remove from heat and pour about 1/3 cup into a mason jar or other airtight sealable container.
- Add 2 tsp chai spice into rest of hot milk and stir well, then add a black tea bag. Let sit for about 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, take the mason jar with the milk and with the lid screwed on tightly and shake and shake and shake until the milk becomes all frothy.
- Strain tea milk through, add frothed milk, top with cinnamon and enjoy hot.
PRINTABLE MEAL PLAN
Get your free 5-part Meal Prep Series and printable Meal Plan!