Salmon burgers are a healthy and delicious change of pace from a typical beef burger. When you need a recipe that’s a little more grown up, try this one!
What are salmon burgers made of?
Unlike salmon burgers made with canned salmon, these healthy burgers are made using real salmon fillets. Canned salmon is pre-cooked and shredded. If you use that as your main ingredient, you would need to make burgers with other ingredients that would make it stick together. In a traditional burger, the protein is held together with bread crumbs and egg.
I use the fillet whole with toppings of homemade mayonnaise and greens. Nothing else has to be added to this healthy burger recipe. Plus, once your fish is cooked, it’s time to eat. No extra steps or messy hands from making the patties.
Is a salmon burger good for you?
Fish has a great reputation for its high Omega-3 fatty acid content, which is great for heart health. Your body has no way to produce Omega-3 so it must be consumed through food or supplements.
Salmon also has enough protein to replace the meat of the burger and an extra dose of vitamin D.
This lean protein will leave you feeling full. As a result, it can help you maintain a healthy weight. It also gives your metabolism a boost.
Salmon is a fish with a higher amount of fat, but most of it is in the form of healthy, polyunsaturated fats.
This salmon burger recipe is easy to adapt for a gluten-free diet, too. Because we are using a salmon fillet instead of making a ground burger mixture with breadcrumbs, it is almost an easy gluten-free meal on its own. The only swap you will need to make is to a gluten-free bun.
How do you know when the burgers are done?
This variety of salmon burger doesn’t use ground salmon, but rather, fresh salmon fillets with no other ingredients added. Let the rich flavor of the salmon be the star of the show.
I also bake the fish to avoid using unnecessary oils for frying.
It will take ten to fifteen minutes to cook the salmon fillets. You can tell that it’s done by the color and texture. It should be opaque and flaky. The internal temperature of cooked fish should be 145⁰F.
Chefs check the doneness of fish by sliding a knife into the thickest part of the fish and holding it there for five seconds. Then they touch the knife to their bottom lip. If the knife is still cold, the fish is not cooked through. If the knife is warm, it’s ready to be eaten. This method ensures that there is no evidence of the cook cutting the fillet open.
What goes well with a salmon burger?
This easy homemade mayonnaise can be mixed together in the ten minutes it takes the salmon to cook. Its creamy texture makes it the perfect condiment to use on the salmon burger bun. You may even want to serve a little extra for dipping.
Salmon Burger With Garlic Herb Mayonnaise
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 burger buns my favorite are Kamut burger buns
- 1 cup micro-greens
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- abundant flavorless vegetable oil (such as avocado oil or sunflower oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 F (230C).
- Pat dry salmon fillets with a paper towel, then salt and pepper generously.
- Place salmon fillets on a parchment paper lined (!) baking sheet.
- Once oven is hot place salmon in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness. (Mine were a thumb thick and I baked them for 10 minutes.)
- In the meantime, prepare the mayonnaise by washing and chopping the herbs.
- Add egg, mustard, lemon juice, crushed garlic and some salt into the blender (about 1/2 tsp) into the blender and start the blender on low, now slowly, very slowly pour in the oil in one continues thin string into the blender while it's running. Add as much oil as necessary until the mayonnaise thickens to desired consistency.
- By now the salmon should be baked through.
- Generously spread mayonnaise on the bottom of the burger bun, place a salmon fillet on top, top with spicy microgreens and top all that with the upper part of the burger bun.
- Take a biiiig bite!
PRINTABLE MEAL PLAN
Get your free 5-part Meal Prep Series and printable Meal Plan!