This Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe is vegetarian and full of nutrition. Roasted delicata squash stuffed with quinoa, kale and mushrooms and drizzeled with tahini and olive oil. A feast for fall!
Delicata Squashes are new to me and I had to cut them open first to see what I could do with them. Once deseeded they are pretty hollow and therefore perfect to stuff with other delicious and nutritious foods.
Delicata squashes are beautiful natural serving bowls. Just like any other squash this one also offers an extraordinary source of Vitamin A and a good source of Vitamin C.
Combined with Quinoa, Kale and Tahini it is THE perfect vegetarian dinner containing a lot of protein and iron.
What I love most about this Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe is that the squashes are small and roast pretty quick. Yay!
I made a similar dish with butternut squash once and though it looked just as pretty it didn’t taste as delicious. Butternut squashes offer very little stuffing space and you end up eating mainly squash and hardly any stuffing.
These delicata squashes give you the perfect mix and they are my new favorites for stuffing. I particularly like the addition of Quinoa to the stuffed delicata squashes. Both are fairly tasteless and one can play a lot with sauces and seasonings.
How to roast delicata squash
- Cut the squash lengthwise in half and deseed using a spoon.
- Oil your hands and then cover squashes in olive oil using your oiled hands, then season flesh with salt and pepper.
- Place squash halves cut side up on a baking dish and roast for 30-35 minutes or until a fork slides in easily.
How to make Stuffed Delicata Squash
The possibilities of “stuffing” are endless. For my first time trying delicata squash I wanted to use fairly neutral tasting foods in order to be able to taste the delicata squash.
Now that I know it doesn’t have much of a stong flavor I could imagine stronger tasting ingredients and spices will go really, really well in them, too. Be creative.
Quinoa and Kale tasted great in them though. And the tahini olive oil mix are so simple and so easy you can focus on the deliciousness of quinoa and kale in itself.
If you landed on this page because you love the idea of the kale quinoa stuffing you should also try these Kale Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
Kale Quinoa Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 2 delicata squashes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch kale
- 5 oz mushrooms (140 g)
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- Wash, dry, cut lengthwise in half and deseed squashes.
- Cover squashes in olive oil with your hands and season flesh with salt and pepper.
- Place squash halves on a baking dish with the cut side up and roast for 30-35 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook quinoa as instructed on package.
- While quinoa is simmering, peel and chop onion and peel and crush garlic.
- Wash and destalk kale and chop, wash and chop mushrooms.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan over medium heat and once hot fry onion and garlic until translucent, then add kale and mushrooms and fry until tender.
- Once quinoa is cooked add to Kale and season with salt and pepper.
- Once squash is roasted take out of the oven and fill with kale quinoa stuffing.
- In a small bowl mix together tahini and olive oil and pour dressing over squash halves.