The best edible gift idea, a super smooth healthy chocolate spread made with only two ingredients. Surprise your loved ones with a deliciously sweet gift.
I love gifting gift cards or plain money for Christmas to people that are super important in my life but that I don’t know too well personally. I found that this makes them the happiest and that makes me happy. My kids’ teachers for example are some of the most important people in our lives and they deserve a little something for Christmas and preferably something that does not end up in the landfills. Gifting just a gift card or money can be somewhat awkward though.
The best way to add a little something is to make an edible gift and attach the gift card or money to the edible gift because after eating it it’s….well…gone! Ha! No mug number 10344867 in the teacher’s cupboard, or candle number 3947492 in the post man’s garage.
Make someone special to you happy this Christmas, with this chocolate spread made with love.
- Cashews – any nut works of course but the advantage of cashews is that they are already skinless by nature and don’t have to be peeled. Hazelnuts, almonds, and other nuts have a bitter skin so I recommend you try and peel as much of as possible after roasting.
- Dark Chocolate – the healthiest chocolate is dark chocolate because it has less sugar than its other family members. If the spread isn’t sweet enough for you you can always sweeten it later with a little maple syrup.
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Spread
- Roast Cashews – Add cashews to a large baking sheet in one layer and roast them at 350F for 12-15 minutes. Keep a close eye on the nuts so they don’t burn. You want them to be a nice golden color with just a few brown spots here and there. I do not recommend leaving this step out as the roasting releases some of the cashews’ oil and makes them easier to blend smooth this way. Once you roasted them let them cool down on the baking sheet while stirring. You do NOT want to add burning hot nuts to your food processor or blender because the hot oils will melt your machine’s jar if it’s made of plastic or you risk it shattering if it’s made of glass.
- Melt Chocolate – Melt your chocolate either in a water bath or in the microwave. To melt it in a water bath, get a cup of water to the boil in a small sauce pan and once almost boiling, place a glass or stainless steel bowl on top of the sauce pan. You do not want the water to touch the bowl. The steam alone is enough to melt the chocolate. Turn the heat to low and add the chocolate broken up in pieces into the bowl and stir constantly until the chocolate melted. Then immediately remove from the heat and keep stirring for a few minutes.
- Blend – Add the cooled down roasted cashews and melted chocolate to either your food processor or high-speed blender with a tamper and blend until completely smooth. The food processor will take about 10-15 minutes until the spread is smooth. The high-speed blender will need less than 2 minutes. It’s important to take breakes and scrape down the sides when using the food processor. It’s important to use the tamper and press down hard when using the blender.
- Store – Store the chocolate spread in a sealable container. It lasts on the counter for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
3 days on the kitchen counter and up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Unfortunately, you can only make this spread in either a food processor or a high-speed blender that has a tamper.
It depends on what kind of chocolate you use. By using 85% dark chocolate you only add 18g of sugar to the whole batch.
2-Ingredient Chocolate Spread
- 4 cups raw cashews
- 3 85% dark chocolate bars
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Add cashews to a large baking sheet in one layer and then roast for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- In the meantime, melt dark chocolate either in a water bath while constantly stirring or in the microwave in 10 second intervals stirring in between.
- Add cooled down (!) roasted cashews and melted chocolate to a high speed blender with tamper or to a food processor and process until smooth.
This post was sponsored by Vitamix. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Green Healthy Cooking!