Warm up from the inside out with this Creamy Asparagus Soup. It contains a secret ingredient that makes this soup unbelievably good!
I love asparagus all year round, they are a wonderful addition to a lot of my main dishes. Their colour and texture are fantastic for recipes like salads and even breakfast recipes. Some of my favorites are this Avocado Egg Salad and this Easy Keto Breakfast Casserole.
If you’re looking for a healthy and comforting Asparagus Soup that tastes nothing like you have ever tried before, keep reading.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Green asparagus – use 1 lbs of fresh asparagus. Choose bright green and firm spears and make sure the tips are firm too, not mushy.
- Avocado oil – you can replace it with any other high smoke point oil, like grapeseed oil or sunflower oil.
- Onion and garlic – they give a delicious base flavor to this soup. Use 1 small yellow onion and 2 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped. You could also use white onion if needed.
- Blue cheese – this is the secret ingredient of this Creamy Asparagus Soup! Blue cheese tastes incredible in the soup, however if you absolutely hate blue cheese you can use any other cheese. Even if you are unsure give it a try, it’s SO delicious!
- Stock or broth – you can use vegetable, chicken or any other broth you prefer.
- Lemon – you will need about 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice. Lime juice or bottled lemon juice can be used if you don’t have any fresh lemon on hand.
- Sour cream – I love sour cream not only because it tastes good but because it looks so pretty on the soup. However it is completely optional and you can omit it if you want.
How to make Creamy Asparagus Soup
- First, preheat your oven to 400F.
- Wash your asparagus spears and make sure to dry them as much as possible, otherwise they will steam in the oven instead of roasting.
- Cut off the dry ends and be really generous when cutting them, or else your soup might end up too fibrous.
- Cut off about 1.5-2 inches from the tips, then cut the rest of the spears in two.
- Add the cut off pieces of asparagus onto a large baking sheet, drizzle some avocado oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Massage the oil and seasoning well into the asparagus. Try to keep the tips somewhat separate from the rest of the spears.
- Place your baking sheet in oven and roast for 12-14 minutes, depending on the asparagus thickness.
- In the meantime, preheat a pot over medium/low heat. Peel and coarsely chop one small onion and a large garlic clove (or two small ones). Don’t spend too much time chopping them, they will be blended later.
- Drizzle avocado oil to the preheated pot and sauté the onion and garlic until just starting to brown.
- By this time your asparagus are probably finished roasting.Take all the asparagus spears, except the tips, and add them to your pot.
- Add 1/4 cup of blue cheese to the pot and then add 3 cups of vegetable broth.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender and mix all the ingredients well until the soup is nice and smooth.
- Lastly, add 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice, give a quick stir and serve.
Adding sour cream is optional, but I just love how pretty this asparagus soup looks. Add a little bit of water to make it more liquid and drizzle all over the soup. Use the tips of the asparagus and place them in the center of the soup. Sprinkle some freshly cracked black pepper and ENJOY!
Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 1 lbs green asparagus
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cheese - blue cheese is my favorite
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- sea salt
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wash and dry asparagus and cut off a generous amount of the dry ends. Cut the tips of about half the asparagus for decoration later. Then place on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little avocado oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and massage oil and seasoning into asparagus. Keep the cut-off tips separate from the spears on the same baking sheet.
- Roast asparagus for 12-15 minutes depending on its thickness. You want it to be softened but still bright green.
- In the meantime, preheat a large pot over medium heat and peel and chop the onion and garlic.
- Add a drizzle of avocado oil to your pot and sauté the onion and garlic until starting to brown.
- Now, either add broth, cheese, lemon juice, and roasted asparagus (without cut-off tips) to the pot and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth OR add everything to a regular blender, blend until smooth and return to the pot.
- Serve soup in a bowl, add a teaspoon of sour cream if desired, top with asparagus tips and freshly cracked black pepper.