Chimichurri sauce is an easy condiment to make with fresh herbs. Make this recipe to serve for a delicious burst of flavor with steak, pork, chicken, salads, and more!
What is chimichurri sauce made with?
Chimichurri is a healthy condiment that is most often used as a sauce for meats and side dishes. There are two versions of chimichurri; green and red.
The main ingredients in the more common, green version, of chimichurri are:
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- red wine vinegar
A less popular version, red chimichurri, is basically green, with a twist. The recipe calls for the same primary ingredients, with the addition of tomatoes and red bell peppers. Aside from the difference in color, the flavors of red and green chimichurri sauce differ slightly as well.
Is chimichurri healthy?
Chimichurri, with its blend of parsley, oregano, olive oil, and garlic, is incredibly healthy! Along with a big dose of antioxidants and healthy fats, chimichurri is also rich in vitamins and nutrients.
- Parsley is a good source of vitamins C, A, and K.
- Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in Manganese, plus vitamins C and B6.
- Olive oil has omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are heart-healthy and important for overall cardiovascular health.
Can this recipe be made with dried herbs?
Yes! You can definitely make this chimichurri recipe using dried parsley and oregano.
While dry parsley is an option, chimichurri sauce with fresh herbs is more flavorful and the color is more vibrant. However, if you are making a chimichurri dry rub or aioli (flavored mayo), using dry herbs is actually better.
How long can you store chimichurri?
Homemade chimichurri sauce can be made a day or two before you plan to serve it. Store the sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container and make sure to use it within two days.
You can use chimichurri as soon as you make it, but the flavor gets stronger and better if you allow the sauce to sit for about an hour at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
Is chimichurri sauce served hot or cold?
Chimichurri is best served at room temperature. If you have any leftover sauce that you store in the refrigerator overnight, remove it about an hour before serving. This will allow time for it to return to room temperature.
How do you use chimichurri?
This chimichurri recipe makes an incredibly versatile condiment – substitute it for your regular sauces or condiments! Here are just a few of many ways that you can use it:
- Brush or baste it onto meat as it cooks
- Spoon it over meat as a sauce after the meat is fully cooked
- Serve it on the side as a condiment
- Use it as an overnight marinade for meat
- use it as a dry rub for grilled meats
- Toss vegetables with fresh chimichurri before roasting or grilling
- Mix it with mayonnaise for a flavorful sandwich spread
- Thin it out slightly with oil and vinegar and use it as a vinaigrette salad dressing
- Toss with pasta, rice, or potatoes, in the same way as you would use pesto sauce
- 2 cups fresh parsley leaves
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- sea salt
- red pepper flakes - optional
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and spin-dry herbs and peel garlic.
- Destem parsley and oregano and chop very finely. Then chop garlic very finely, too.
- Add chopped herbs and garlic to a bowl, season with sea salt, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and olive oil. Stir well and enjoy!
Shelby Fowler says
I will make this looks so good 😊
I can eat this stuff straight, love it love it ❤️
Me, too!!! It’s sooo delicious!