A (vegan) Chickpea Spinach Curry made in 20 minutes from start to finish. Who says eating healthy requires a lot of time and effort? Protein-rich chickpeas, iron-rich spinach, creamy coconut milk and deliciously spicy curry paste make this a dinner for champions.
It’s so easy to make I dared shooting a video and edit it in Adobe Premiere Pro. That’s a program that is waaaay too complicated for me to understand completely yet. The video is all white and blown out, which apparently you can edit but I don’t know how yet, and the cuts are a bit wonky and all but hey, practice makes perfect. I hope you like it non the less.
I plan on making more of these videos and I hope they will become better and better over time. Do you think they help to see how easy making this Chickpea Spinach Curry is? Excuse the music, I don’t like it much either but I don’t have a big library of stock music just yet.
Now, to the recipe itself. I don’t use canned chickpeas because I don’t like them and I feel they are quite hard to digest but if you weren’t able to plan ahead, they are obviously a great option.
I routinely cook big pots of legumes and freeze 2 cups at a time in freezer bags. That way I always have chickpeas or black beans or pinto beans in the freezer for quick dinners.
Using baby spinach as a vegetable in this dish is part of the reason it comes together so fast. It doesn’t require chopping or prepping and if you buy the baby spinach already washed you can skip even the washing and drying step.
The coconut milk gives the dish a deliciously creamy sauce and the curry paste is responsible for the amazing smell in your kitchen while and after cooking.
I cut the video square to fit Facebook and Instagram better and forgot to edit an uncut version for Youtube. See how newbie I am at all this? I can’t insert a link here now but why don’t you hop on over to my Facebook Page and check it out there?
If you like this recipe as much as I do, you will also like all the other curries on Green Healthy Cooking. There is a Vegan Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry which is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. If you’re not into chickpeas, check out this Thai Chicken Cauliflower Curry.
Chickpea Spinach Curry
A vegan Chickpea Spinach Curry made in 20 minutes from start to finish. Who says eating healthy requires a lot of time and effort?
- 1/2 Tbsp flavorless oil (I used Avocado)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can coconut milk (200 ml)
- 2 Tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce (or not fish sauce: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-vegan-fish-sauce-130535 for vegan version)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1.5 cups cooked white rice
- If you don't have leftover rice, prepare that first and while it's cooking you can prepare the curry.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat.
- In the meantime, peel and chop onion and peel and crush garlic.
- Add oil and chopped onion to hot pan and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add crushed garlic, coconut milk, curry paste and fish sauce to the pan, stir well until all is combined and then bring to the boil.
- Once boiling add chickpeas and let simmer on low for about 10 minutes or until the coconut milk becomes nice and creamy.
- Add spinach and cover with a lid. That way the spinach reduces in size super fast (about 1 minute) and then you'll be able to stir everything together.
- Serve in a bowl over rice.
Get all recipes straight into your inbox!