THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MANN'S
A brown rice salad with delicious chickpeas, a blend of kale and beets, and a zingy orange ginger dressing! Eat it cold or warm, either way, it’s extremely delicious!
Pressure cook the brown rice and chickpeas together at the same time and use Mann’s Kale Beet Blend to save on time and throw this together in just half an hour.
Rice is hands down my favorite grain of all. I love it plain but I also love it mixed into bowls with many other deliciousnesses and luscious sauces or dressings. This Brown Rice Salad can absolutely be served as the main dish thanks to the chickpea’s protein and massive amounts of veggies.
It’s also a great salad to prepare as meal prep, to take to work all week. Kale and beets are amazing vegetables that hold their shape really well for a long time in the fridge.
For meal prepping I recommend letting the rice and chickpeas cool down completely. Toss rice, chickpeas, and veggie blend together and store the dressing separately. This way the salad can easily be stored for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Cold brown rice salad happily waiting for you every day at lunchtime.
How to Cook Brown Rice and Chickpeas at the Same Time
This has been the most amazing discovery ever for me. In the pressure cooker, you can actually cook both at the same time in just 22 minutes (+natural pressure release). Mind-blown? Yah, me, too!
Add an equal amount of rice and water, add soaked (!) chickpeas, a bit of sea salt and that’s it. Get your pot to pressure and pressure cook on high for 22 minutes, then wait for the pressure to release naturally and that’s all the magic.
Best Vegetables to Add to a Warm Brown Rice Salad
Any vegetable that tastes great raw but holds its shape even after getting in contact with hot ingredients. Beets, cabbage, the stems of broccoli, kale, carrots…. basically ANY of the vegetables of all 4 veggie blends Mann’s has in their product line :)
If you’ve been following Green Healthy Cooking for a while now you probably know by now that I’m a huge fan of their products and especially their slaws. They make adding vegetables to your meal so much easier.
Struggle to eat enough vegetables in the morning? Make some prep ahead Breakfast Burritos with one of Mann’s slaws. Wish your dinner contained a lot of vegetables? Make a delicious Chicken Spaghetti Squash LOADED with broccoli slaw and call it a night!
Brown Rice Salad
- 1 cup dry chickpeas - (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 bag Mann's Kale Beet Blend
- 1 orange
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 4 Tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Then drain and rinse.
- Add brown rice, soaked chickpeas, 1 cup water and sea salt to pressure cooker. Turn valve to sealing position and pressure cook on high for 22 minutes. Then let pressure release naturally. (Do NOT turn valve to venting position, just let pressure release naturally).
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing by zesting the orange, adding juice of half an orange to a sealable jar, add zest, ginger paste, avocado oil and salt and pepper and shake vigorously.
- Assemble the salad by adding brown rice and chickpeas, Mann's Kale Beet Blend and dressing to a bowl, toss well and serve.
- For meal prepping: Wait for brown rice and chickpeas to cool down completely before tossing together with Mann's Kale Beet Blend, divide into 4 meal prep containers. Prepare dressing and store separately. Toss with dressing minutes before serving.