Nothing tastes better than zucchini soup on a cool fall day. With only five ingredients, this delicious soup recipe is quick and easy but also filling and satisfying.
This zucchini soup recipe is incredibly easy to make, and you may already have most of the ingredients to make it! It’s a great way to use up end of the season garden zucchini. Serve it with homemade apple yeast bread freshly made and still slightly warm.
Should zucchini be peeled for soup?
Some store-bought zucchini has been waxed to extend its shelf life. If this is the case, you may want to peel your zucchini before using it.
You may also want to peel it if it is a very large zucchini. Once they start to get big, the skin becomes very tough and bitter.
Other than that there is absolutely no need to peel zucchinis. Small, bright green zucchinis are the best to choose for zucchini soup. I buy organic and never ever peel or deseed them.
The best broth to use
If you want to keep the soup vegetarian you have to make or buy a vegetable broth. My favorite vegetarian broths are mushroom or onion-based.
I’m not vegetarian myself so my favorite broth, in general, is homemade chicken bone broth, especially for this soup. I keep a batch in the freezer at all times so I can use it for any soup I want to make.
How do you blend hot liquids?
There are several methods you can use to puree the zucchini soup, depending on the kitchen equipment you have.
- Use an immersion blender right in the pot
- Use a traditional blender. Fill it halfway and blend it in batches. Put a towel over the top of the blender lid and push down on it. The hot liquids could force the lid off while blending.
- Blenders like a Ninja or Vitamix are capable of blending hot ingredients. Do not fill more than halfway, and if necessary, blend in batches.
Does this soup freeze well?
This zucchini soup recipe is perfect for freezing. Feel free to make a double or triple batch of this soup and freeze everything you don’t eat that day. You can store this in the freezer for up to three months.
If you don’t want to make the entire recipe right now, you can grate the zucchini and freeze that. When you thaw it, there will be a lot of extra water, so thaw it in a colander.
Easy Zucchini Soup
- 2.25 lbs zucchini (about 4 medium)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1-2 Tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or vegetable stock
- sea salt
- olive oil
- Wash all zucchini and dice 2 lbs into big chunks and grate 1/4 lbs with a cheese grater. Set aside.
- Preheat a large pan over medium-low heat and once hot add a little bit of olive oil and then stir-fry the sliced almonds in the olive oil until golden brown. Don't stop stirring or you riks the almonds burning.
- Remove the browned sliced almonds from the pan and set aside.
- Add grated zucchini to the same pan and crush garlic cloves into pan as well and then stir fry grated zucchini and crushed garlic until all water evaporates and the zucchini is bright green. Remove the pan from the stove and set aside.
- Add diced zucchini and broth or stock to a large pot and season generously with sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and once boiling cover with the lid and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minutes are over, blend the zucchini and broth with an immersion blender or stand blender until super smooth. Taste test at this point to see if it needs more seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To serve, add creamy soup to a bowl, add a dollop of crème fraîche and swirl it around, then top with grated zucchini and browned almond slices and enjoy!
PRINTABLE MEAL PLAN
Get your free 5-part Meal Prep Series and printable Meal Plan!