An incredibly easy and super tasty Mushroom Chicken recipe perfect for busy weeknights. Only two main ingredients and seasonings are all you need for a delicious dinner done in under 30 minutes.
We all have busy days that seem to last forever. There’s nothing better than to come home and sit down to enjoy a warm homemade dinner. This savory mushroom chicken is perfect for those days, all you need is one pan and 5 minutes of prep.
I love serving it over some rice. White rice, brown rice, wild rice, any rice you can think of. I have a full tutorial on how to cook all the different types of rice in the Instant Pot. That way you can focus on making your mushroom chicken while the rice is cooking and you don’t have to watch it.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken – use 1 lb of skinless boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, either works perfectly fine.
- Mushrooms – for this recipe I used cremini mushrooms because they are slightly more savory. However you could also use white button mushrooms or even shiitake mushrooms.
- Parsley – you only need a few parsley sprigs for garnishing. You can also use cilantro.
- Paprika – I love the nice kick of paprika in this mushroom chicken recipe, but you can substitute it with chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Oregano – dry oregano is aromatic and flavorful. If you need to replace it you can also use dry basil, marjoram or a little Italian seasoning.
- Cumin – this is a rich and savory seasoning that adds tons of flavor. Garam masala or chili powder are other good options too.
- Sea Salt & Pepper – use as much or as little as you like depending on your taste.
- Butter – ghee is a good replacement for butter when frying to give the chicken a nice golden color. Or you could use a high smoke point cooking oil like avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
- Olive Oil – you need it to cook the mushrooms combined with the chicken juices. If you are already using oil to fry the chicken, just add another small drizzle when you add the mushrooms.
How to Make Mushroom Chicken
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat.
- Season the chicken using 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp cumin, sea salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle everything on both sides of the chicken and rub to make sure it’s all covered evenly.
- Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the hot pan and fry the chicken for 6-7 minutes on one side. Flip and fry for another 6-7 minutes on the other side until the chicken is golden brown, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
- In the meantime, cut mushrooms about 1/4″ slices and set aside. Then, finely chop some parsley and set aside too.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the pan and keep it warm.
- Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the same pan and add the mushroom slices. Stir and fry combining them with the chicken juices until nice and brown.
- Return the chicken to the pan and mix with the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over everything. Serve over your favorite rice and dive in!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz brown mushrooms
- sea salt
- chopped parsley
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat and season chicken thighs with spices and sea salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add butter to the hot pan and once melted add chicken thighs and fry for 6-7 minutes per side.
- In the meantime, slice mushrooms.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, remove it from the pan and keep warm.
- Add olive oil to the pan juices and fry the sliced mushrooms until brown. Serve mushrooms over chicken.