The most flavorful Chicken Lettuce Wraps you have ever tasted. Crunchy lettuce and carrots, soft and sweet pineapple and avocado. Sweet and sour herby sauce. Juicy and salty chicken. An explosion of taste and texture.
How To Assemble A Lettuce Wrap
- Lay a large lettuce leave flat on a plate.
- Add the harder ingredients first: chicken and grated carrots.
- Top with the small ingredients: pineapple.
- Add the soft ingredients second to last: avocado.
- Lay the thin things on top: microgreens.
- Drizzle tahini sauce last and immediately give it a bite.
What Can I serve as a side dish?
In my opinion, the wraps are already a full meal in itself because they contain lettuce and carrots as veggies, chicken as the protein, and avocado as a healthy fat. They do lack some carbs though of course. So if you are looking to add some healthy carbs to your meal I suggest serving over some Instant Pot Rice, or a bit of farro.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of lettuce is best for wraps?
Any lettuce that has large leaves.
- Butter Lettuce
- Romaine Lettuce
- Iceberg Lettuce
How do you eat chicken lettuce wraps?
More like tacos than wraps actually. It’s difficult to wrap the lettuce around any food and keep it closed. I’m not sure why they are called wraps as opposed to lettuce tacos, to be honest.
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
I’m glad you asked because YES! There exists a vegetarian version of these Chicken Lettuce Wraps on my blog: Lentil Lettuce Wraps.
Are lettuce wraps healthier than regular wraps?
This depends 100% on the contents. The fact that a wrap has lettuce as a wrapper does not automatically make it healthy. What you put in or on a wrap is the most important. Chicken can be healthy if prepared without highly processed oils and sugars but also unhealthy if prepared in the opposite way.
These specific lettuce wraps right here are 100% healthy in my books because they contain all clean ingredients, are prepped from scratch, and contain loads of vegetables.
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 40 g basil leaves (2 hands full)
- 20 g cilantro leaves (1 hand full)
- 1 Tbsp honey - agave nectar for vegan version
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 Tbsp tahini unsweetened and unsalted
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (juice only)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 carrot
- microgreens (optional)
- sea salt
- Add basil leaves, cilantro leaves, honey, garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce, tahini, olive oil, and lemon juice to a blender and blend on high until no more bits of herbs are left.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and pan-fry over medium heat in some oil until cooked through. Season lightly with sea salt and pepper while pan-frying.
- Wash and spin-dry lettuce leafs making sure they are 100% dry. Peel and grate carrot. Peel and slice avocado. Cut pineapple into chunks.
- To assemble the wraps, add a lettuce wrap flat on a plate, add a few chicken pieces, a little grated carrots, a few pineapple chunks, a few slices of avocado, some microgreens and then drizzle with the tahini sauce. Eat immediately and then assemble the next one.