Crock Pot Chicken Tacos are full of flavor and prepped in less than 10 minutes. Add your Chicken Tinga to a corn tortilla, top with your favorite ingredients and you’re ready for taco Tuesday.
This recipe couldn’t be any easier. Make the sauce in a blender with just 3 simple ingredients. Add everything to your slow cooker and head out the door. Even easier than my Crockpot Chicken and Rice.
“Tinga de pollo” or chicken tinga or chicken tacos, whichever way you want to call it, can obviously be prepared many different ways. This is by far my favorite though because it’s so incredibly easy and there is no need to babysit a pot.
Are Crock Pot Chicken Tacos Healthy?
Well, that obviously depends on what ingredients you add. This recipe is definitely healthy. It contains only chicken, tomatoes, chipotle chilis, onion, garlic and a bit of sea salt. That’s it.
Now, it also depends what you top your tacos with. I suggest lettuce, radishes, cilantro and a tiny bit of watered-down sour cream.
That’s definitely healthy in my books.
How to make Chicken Tacos in a Crock Pot
Easy peasy, just like on the stove top except, no babysitting needed.
Make the sauce in the blender, add that, onion, garlic and chicken to your crock pot and cook 2-3 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low and that’s it.
No special magic.
How to Easily Shred Chicken
The easiest way to shred chicken for tacos or anything really is to place the well cooked chicken on a large chopping board or a deep baking dish and use to forks to pull it apart.
If the chicken is cooked to just 165F and basically barely cooked, shredding is much more difficult. To shred chicken you want have to overcook it a little. More like to 185-ish degrees. That way it is dry enough to easily shred into strings.
Since most shredded chicken is smothered in sauce it doesn’t matter if it’s a bit dry when shredded. It will absorb a lot of the delicious sauce.
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 small can chipotle chilis
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- 8 thinly sliced radishes
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 16 corn tortillas
- Remove stem and ovaries of tomatoes and add together with chipotle chilis to high speed blender (if you don't have a high speed blender you might have to quarter the tomatoes first) and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce into crock pot, add chopped onion and crushed garlic, give a quick stir and then submerge chicken breasts in the sauce.
- Set slow-cooker to 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove chicken breast from crock pot and place on a large chopping board and shred with two forks. Then add shredded chicken back into the crockpot and stir into the sauce.
- Now build your tacos. Place a warm corn tortilla on a plate, add chicken tinga, lettuce, thinly sliced radish, cilantro leaves, sour cream and sliced avocado on top and enjoy!