The best appetizer on the planet: these Antipasto Skewers! They are great to bring to a potluck, barbecue or serve at a get-together at home.
This recipe was inspired by Knusperstübchen’s recipe for Pasta Spieße. I thought they were super brilliant as antipasto appetizer skewers.
A total delight for everybody who tries them. I made them for my son’s piano concert after party and they were gone in the blink of an eye.
How to make Antipasto Skewers
The possibilities are endless really. You can add any and all antipasti you like to the skewers.
I chose prosciutto and bocconcini for protein, farfalle pasta for carbs and cucumber, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, baby spinach and butter lettuce ad veggies.
Top it all with pistachio pesto or your favorite store-bought pesto and you’re good to go.
How much in advance can Antipasto Skewers be prepared?
I don’t recommend making them a day ahead, however, I’ve eaten leftovers the next day and everything still tasted great.
The pasta did become a bit dry and the cucumber kind of looked a bit sad. So, while they were still yummy, they didn’t “look” as pretty anymore.
Opt for making the same day and then store in an air-tight container in the fridge until it’s time to serve.
Take out of the fridge about 30 minutes before serving so the ingredients aren’t super cold.
Other Antipasto Appetizer Skewer Ideas
As mentioned above, the possibilities are endless. Try adding salami, artichoke hearts, red onion, olives, roasted sweet potato, pickles…..
There is literally no end to imagination. To make them nutritionally balanced simply pay attention to add a protein, a carb and a vegetable and then go from there.
To make sure the individual ingredients go well together put a piece of each in a small bowl and try them all together before starting to build your Antipasto Skewers.
- 1 cup bocconcini
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup butter lettuce
- 12 stripes prosciutto
- 2 cups farfalle, penne, spirals, rigatoni - or any other pasta shape you like
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pesto
- Cook pasta as instructed on the package.
- In the meantime, wash and cube cucumber. Wash deseed and cut bell pepper. Wash and destem cherry tomatoes. Wash and spin dry baby spinach and butter lettuce.
- No it's time to build the skewers. You can build them all the same or switch everything up. The important think is to use contrasting colors one after the other and not all green stuff on one side.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge until about 30 minutes before serving.