If you love fajitas, these Chicken Fajitas Meal Prep Bowls are the easiest, fastest and most delicious way to satisfy your cravings in a healthy way!
Make juicy, tender and super flavorful chicken and sizzling veggies together in one sheet pan. Cook some rice on the side, and you’ll have a mouthwatering healthy meal in minutes.
Meal prep bowls are an amazing way to eat healthy, save time in the kitchen AND save money! I’m a BIG fan of healthy meal prep and I’m constantly looking for new recipes to add to my rotation. These chicken fajitas meal prep bowls are a fantastic way to add some variety and will not disappoint!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken – I recommend using boneless skinless chicken breast. Two large chicken breasts (about 20 oz) are enough to yield four meal prep bowls. Alternatively, you could use boneless skinless chicken thighs, just make sure you adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Bell Peppers – use three bell peppers of different colors. These crunchy peppers not only add a rainbow of colors to your dish, but they are also packed with antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Onion – red onion is my favorite to use because its milder flavor, but white onion works perfectly well too.
- Rice – for this recipe I used Basmati rice, but you can use any type of rice you like. If you’re like me and don’t want to keep an eye on the rice while you cook, see my Instant Pot Rice guide. You’ll get perfect rice every time :)
- Cumin – it adds tons of flavor to the chicken, so don’t skip it. If you need to replace it, you can use paprika or chili powder instead.
- Red Pepper Flakes – add some heat to your fajitas by using red pepper flakes. You could also use some cayenne pepper if you need to replace them.
- Salt & Pepper – crack some fresh pepper and sea salt for maximum flavor.
- Cilantro – this is used for garnishing only, but who doesn’t love the taste of fresh cilantro? Ok, I’m a big fan of cilantro, but for those who don’t like it (what?), it can be omitted.
- Lime – freshly squeezed lime juice enhances the overall flavor of these chicken fajitas meal prep bowls. Or you can also drizzle a few drops of bottled lime juice.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas Meal Prep Bowls
- Make rice – cook your rice in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop as instructed on the package. Also, preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Prep veggies – grab a large chopping board. Deseed and thinly slice the bell peppers. Then, peel and thinly slice the red onion. Add all the sliced veggies to a baking pan, drizzle a little oil and sprinkle them with sea salt. Use your hands to massage and completely cover all the veggies with the oil and salt.
- Prep chicken – in a small bowl combine cumin, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper. Then rub onto the chicken breasts until completely covered.
- Bake chicken and veggies – add the seasoned chicken to the baking sheet with the vegetables and place in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Assemble prep bowls – once done, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting it. Then divide the rice and roasted veggies among four meal prep containers. Slice the chicken and divide it among the four containers as well. Drizzle some fresh lime juice on top of each container and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Yum!
Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. When ready to eat, just reheat it and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Meal prep bowls with chicken last in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Yes! You can freeze chicken fajitas meal prep bowls for up to 3 months. To defrost, simply place in the refrigerator overnight.
Simply add them to the microwave or into a large pan over medium heat to reheat.
Chicken Fajitas Meal Prep Bowls
- 20 oz chicken breasts
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 bell peppers of different colors
- 1 large red onion
- 1 Tbsp flavorless oil
- 1 1/3 cups basmati rice
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 2-3 limes
- sea salt
- Cook rice in the instant pot or as instructed on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Deseed and thinly slice bell peppers and peel and thinly slice the red onion. Then add to a large baking sheet and drizzle with a little oil and season with sea salt and work oil and salt into the vegetables with your hands.
- Mix cumin, red pepper flakes, and sea salt and pepper to taste and then rub onto the chicken.
- Add seasoned chicken to the baking sheet with the vegetables and place in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Divide rice, chicken, and vegetables among 4 meal prep containers, drizzle with fresh lime juice, and sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro.