It is getting colder and colder in Canada and the days are getting shorter and shorter which alone calls for hot stews but the darkness and more time inside breathing heated air make me feel extremely tired and this requires some extra iron for iron woman energy. I can’t rely on coffee alone to stay awake, can I? *dream – seated on the sofa watching movies and drinking hot cocoa while someone, such as my kids massage my feet….- dream over* *reality flash – these kids left the apartment a shambles, I have 4 piles of dirty laundry blocking the entrance, the recycling bins in the kitchen are fuller than full and in less than 2 hours I have to go pick up my son from preschool and sit him in front of a filling meal because he will spend all the way home from school loudly proclaiming how awfully hungry he is – reality flash over* I figured I’d better get going and start with the most important: prepare FOOD!
So, this is the little story to this specific meal. We enjoyed it heaps, while the stew was simmering I had enough time to do all the other chores and once the kids were fed they were allowed to watch a movie, sitting on the sofa (without cocoa and foot massage though). Wonderful, because this gave me a couple of minutes to cat nap over a sink of dirty dishes in the kitchen. Hey! Even iron woman after an energizing meal needs some time to rest and digest, right?
This dish is nutrient dense and heart and belly warming and if you make a double batch you can even freeze it for some other energy emergency day.
Veggie Beef Cabbage Rolls
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium sized carrots (250g)
- 3 medium sized zucchini (250g)
- 1 large bell pepper (250g)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (800 ml)
- 500 g ground beef
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 8 leaves large savoy cabbageor more for smaller rolls
- Peel onion and chop finely.
- Peel garlic and crush.
- Peel carrots and cut in 1/4" (0.5cm) cubes.
- Wash zucchini and cut in 1/4" (0.5cm) cubes.
- Wash and deseed bell pepper and cut in 1/4" (0.5cm) cubes.
- In a large heavy bottomed pan heat some olive oil over medium heat.
- Once hot fry onion and garlic in oil for a couple of minutes, then add vegetables and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and heat through.
- Add ground beef and separate with a spatula to make sure no big lumps cook together.
- Add seasoning (be generous with salt), cover and let simmer for 1 hour.
- About 10 minutes before the hour is over gently remove cabbage leaves. Fill a bowl with hot water and wash leaves in hot water for a couple of minutes. This should soften them enough to be able to roll them without braking.
- Lay out 2 leaves one on top of the other and spoon some veggie and beef stew into the middle. Roll up and secure with tooth picks or cooking string.
- Once all rolls are done heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot brown cabbage rolls from all sides.
- Serve with your favorite side. I like brown rice!