This Vegan Lentil Chard Stir-Fry is packed with fiber, protein and iron and some vitamin C for optimal iron absorption. The best about this dish is it tastes delicious both hot/warm or cold as a salad, which makes it an extraordinary dinner plus takeaway lunch the next day to work, school or simply picnic in the park. Use home cooked lentils for this recipe, it will taste so so so much better.
Vegan Lentil Chard Stir-Fry
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch red chard
- 150 g mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1 tsp heapedcumin
- lemon juice of ½-1 lemon
- fresh coriander
- (If you don't have cooked rice or any other side dish left over, start by preparing your rice before starting this recipe so it will be ready at the same time).
- Peel and chop onion and peel and mince garlic.
- Wash and slice chard and mushrooms.
- Heat a little olive oil in a wok or heavy bottomed large saucepan over medium heat*.
- Once hot fry onion and garlic until translucent, add chard and mushrooms and cook stirring every once in a while to make sure the chard cooks evenly.
- Once soft, add lentils, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Stir-fry until lentils are heated through.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice to taste and sprinkle with a little chopped coriander. Enjoy with brown or white rice**.
* Do not (ever!) heat (olive) oil over high heat, it has a pretty low smoke point and will just burn. Burned olive oil is carcinogenic and besides tastes yucky! Heat it over medium heat and keep an eye on it. This takes a little longer but is well worth the wait. You can let a drop of water fall into the oil to find out if its hot enough to fry food. If it sputters, it’s just right.
** This will depend on how much time you have. White rice cooks in 15-20 minutes. Brown rice cooks in about 35-40 minutes.
Get all recipes straight into your inbox!