The weather remains beyond fantastic and whole days outside in the park and/or on the playground are still more of a rule than an exception. As always, I am looking for ways to prepare a nutrient dense one recipient dish that does not need refrigeration and I came up with a different version of the previous picnic dish. This Picnic Quinoa does the same trick my Picnic Couscous did but still offers that variety most of us want in our diet. With this dish you eat your fresh dark green vegetable for the day and the bell pepper gives you the Vitamin C you need for optimal iron absorption. It is a dish very high in iron. Baby spinach, lentils and quinoa all three contain high levels of iron and if you need energy…you need I-R-O-N-M-A-N!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 2 yellow peppers
- olive oil
- Cook quinoa in vegetable stock as instructed on package.
- While quinoa cooks wash and chop bell pepper and baby spinach.
- Once quinoa is cooked fluff with a fork and let cool to room temperature. You might want to transfer into a big bowl so it cools faster.
- Add lentils* and chopped vegetables to quinoa and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Get all recipes straight into your inbox!