Heirloom Tomato Salad with Avocado Cilantro Balsamic Vinaigrette…phew! The longest title since I started blogging? I think so, but how else are you supposed to decipher what that yummy dressing is there under the tomatoes? This week I got three beautiful heirloom tomatoes and micro coriander in my vegetable box, I haven’t posted an appetizer recipe in like forever and the sun was shining into my apartment like it was screaming for attention, i.e. great day for food photos. The result: I created this amazingly fresh salad with a rather exotic vinaigrette. I think this is the perfect appetizer for a several course menu. It is light, it is fresh, it is delightful and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Paired with bread I could imagine this would also make an excellent light dinner. Let me know what you think.
Did I tell you already, that I’m going to Germany for the summer? I’m super excited and my kids, they can’t count the days. They ask me eeevery day if it is “tomorrow” that we are leaving. We haven’t been “home” (if I can still call the country I left EIGHT (!!) years ago “home”) in two years and I have only seen two of my sisters in that period because they were so awesome to come visit us in Canada. I haven’t seen my mom, I haven’t seen my dad, I haven’t seen my third sister, my nephew and I have never even met my niece who will turn 1 end of July. I can’t wait to hold her and hug her and kiss her and *tears*. As exciting as it can be to live abroad and move from country to country, it is pretty hard sometimes, too. Especially because I am extremely close to my family and care so so much about them.
I have loads of recipes in mind to cook and photograph when at my mom’s. I’m sure I’ll include one of her recipes, too. She is an amazing cook with extensive knowledge about healthy nutrition and I will try the impossible to get you guys one of her recipes. Promise! I might even be able to ask my dad to cook something for the blog, too. He is a through and through carnivore and the greatest meat cook on the planet. Seriously!
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Avocado Cilantro Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 large yellow heirloom tomato
- 1 large red heirloom tomato
- 1 large purple heirloom tomato
- 1 hand full walnuts
- 1 hand full micro coriander or coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp honey (agave nectar for vegan version)
- Wash and destem cilantro and fill half a cup with its leaves.
- Add to food processor and process for about a minute.
- Add avocado, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and process until smooth.
- Add a little water until you get the consistency you like and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash and slice tomatoes. To get them to look like in the pictures, the stem has to look left, the bottom right (or the other way around if left-handed) and then slice it. Don't place bottom down and cut from stem to bottom but rather place on side and cut side to side.
- Wash micro coriander or coriander leaves.
- Chop walnuts.
- Put about 2 Tbsp of vinaigrette on a plate and place 3 slices of tomato (1 from every color) on top and then sprinkle chopped walnuts and cilantro on top.
Only 17 more nights and OFF WE GO!!! I can’t wait for you Germany. I am over the moon excited. We will have a wonderful summer.
Get all recipes straight into your inbox!