My weekly produce box had the most vivid colors in it this time. Gorgeous bell peppers, extremely green zucchinis and bright red heirloom tomatoes. A bag of pecans and a white purpelish bulb of garlic. I knew I had to make something colorful with it but couldn’t make up my mind. I kept the beautiful veggies in the fridge for like 5 days without allowing anybody to touch them or even look at them. Ha! I finally came up with an idea and this is the result: A delicious vegan Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Cilantro Pecan Pesto. It tasted so amazing my kids didn’t complain about the garlic’s “spiciness”. In their opinion absolutely everything is spicy….even ice cubes (what?!?). So when something is really a tiny winy bit spicy and they just deal with it, it means it tastes too AWESOME to be complaining. Wooot!
The pesto is whipped up in like 3 minutes and I’m sure would taste great with pasta, too. I used the leftovers on spare ribs and whoa! How amazing! No need for any marinate. I also put a tablespoon of it together with another tablespoon of oil in my husband’s salad dressing container for work and he said it tasted great, too. A very versatile pesto, that’s for sure.
The sandwich is really juicy. Make sure you have napkins on hand or eat with cutlery to avoid messiness. I prefer to eat them with my hands. It’s part of the whole experience ;)
P.S. KIDS ARE BACK TO SCHOOOOOOOOL!!!!! WOHOOOO!
Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Cilantro Pecan Pesto
- rosemary focaccia
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large red heirloom tomato
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Wash and deseed bell peppers and cut into 4-5 flat pieces.
- Wash zucchini and cut into thin broad stripes.
- Once skillet is very hot, cover bell pepper and zucchini pieces with olive oil (use your hands) and place on skillet. Fry until it just starts to burn, turning frequently.
- For the pesto put washed and dried cilantro, pecans, olive oil, crushed garlic and maple syrup in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Wash and slice heirloom tomato.
- Cut open 2 squares of focaccia bread, spread both sides with pesto, place grilled veggies and tomato in it, close and take a big, big, big bite!
Get all recipes straight into your inbox!